Mating nucs absconding- any theory

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have moved away from the Apidea's, simply got fed up of them absconding, I tried almost everything. I have now started using Mini Plus, have not had any issues with them so far.

I enjoy using Apideas but have unfortunately bought some of the cheapies from China. You say you've moved away from Apideas, would you sell them if you still have them? I put an advert in the "Wanted" section but no joy yet!
I'd pay postage obviously.

Sorry I gave them all away to another beekeeper, Mini Plus are so much cheaper to buy and suit me better.

Start to use 3 normal frame mating nucs, and the nuc will never abscond. But the nuc needs brood there, that bees feel it cosy.

If the mating nuc box has 3 separate rooms, losses will be big. I changed those to solitary nucs and losses went to zero.

Last edited:
Start to use 3 normal frame mating nucs, and the nuc will never abscond. But the nuc needs brood there, that bees feel it cosy.

If the mating nuc box has 3 separate rooms, losses will be big. I changed those to solitary nucs and losses went to zero.
Agreed and I tend to use a mix of 3 frames nucs (normal size) and mini as I don't have the resources to populate too many 3 frames nucs unfortunately. I will probably make a few more over the winter as they are really handy, and as you say don't abscond.
On a slightly different note I saw on a video a 8x 4frames hive. It looks like a top bar hive but has 8 separate section to fit 4 national frames nucs, each with its own entrance and crown board. It may be my project for the winter.

D05A08E9-F8F8-47F4-8599-E9D9A063D701.jpegHere’s my way of avoiding any issues3C336EB3-82E6-43A6-9799-F18179313E3B.jpeg

Last edited:
I find once the nucs are up and running they are easily split and produce multiple nucs themselves. Come autumn nucs can be easily combined

I use to keep the queen laying in mating nucs 4 weeks, that I see what kind of brood and bees the queen does

Heat seems to be the problem with Swibine and Apidea types. As soon as the queen has mated, a piece of queen excluder over the entrance stops her leaving. A roof tile over them helps too - gives shade and also acts as a weight to stop them moving. But they will abscond, sadly. I do wonder whether they are just too small and don't really get the queen working well enough with minimal room to lay in. However, I have 1/2 dozen Abelo mini-plus nucs and no absconding experienced so far (apart from a 4 frame wooden one I made) and they are big enough to over-winter queens in; you can plop one on top of another very easily too in late summer. The entrance is a bit naff without an excluder capability.

Back