mating flights

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that's interesting ...

... and with the drones (and I've just learned that there can be several involved with any one queen) supplying half of the genes - that suggests that any attempt to breed 'a pure strain' will be a fruitless task - well, unless you happen to live on a desert island of course.

So how did Brother Adam manage to create the Buckfast strain ? More reading on this subject is obviously required.

yes, more reading needed!
a lot of bees are bred in 'isolation apiaries' ( miles from any other bees) such as Islands, and of course, on parts of exmoor / dartmoor

There has been loads of swallows around both of my queen breeding sites,I have checked today and all my hives have cells or v queens but I have lost a hell of alot of v queens, it must be due to them but I just have to keep hoping and keep grafting.

I'm only new to beekeeping myself but I remember reading about Drone congregation areas, so you would have to simulate that if possible ???

and no-one really knows how to determine what condtions are required for a DCA for AM bees. Some DCA's are known because they tend to remain over many years once established but no definite criteria have been determined by research as yet, afaik

yes, more reading needed!
a lot of bees are bred in 'isolation apiaries' ( miles from any other bees) such as Islands, and of course, on parts of exmoor / dartmoor

Not forgetting artificial insemination, which is how research scientists & some professionals now operate. Learned that about half an hour ago. The mists are gradually lifting ...

Latest posts

Back