• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Mated Queen needed - preferably Buckfast

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieMc

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not having any luck this year. One Queen died out in the Spring, another Queen poorly mated last year, then my BEST Queen has completely disappeared over a week ago leaving no Q cells. Its a total mystery

So, has anyone got a mated Queen, preferably Buckfast as I believe they are docile. Whatever, she needs to be non aggressive. I'm on bee venom desensitisation programme. Thanks for looking at this post

Hi
I've got a queen in a cage in my pocket. Was going to despatch her as not needed,
2015 mated and clipped,
Pay only 50p for the cage.
Colony was aggressive but she will tie you over and stop any laying workers.
She will need to be collected tonight from m21- manchester.

Hi
I've got a queen in a cage in my pocket. Was going to despatch her as not needed,
2015 mated and clipped,
Pay only 50p for the cage.
Colony was aggressive but she will tie you over and stop any laying workers.
She will need to be collected tonight from m21- manchester.
Thanks for the offer Eyeman, it's very kind of you but I really do need a non aggressive Q, especially due to my reaction to bee stings. I live Preston Area

Locally bred queens can be non aggressive too... aggressiveness is partly down to bad beekeeping practice IMOVHO!

Nos da

hi rosie

ive got some buckfast queen cells in the incubator
you are very welcome to have one to see how you get on.
they are due to emerge in 4 days
would need collecting before thurs eve (Clayton green area)
where are you ????

i will have some mated queens in a couple of weeks

i will pm you my number

aggressiveness IS partly down to bad beekeeping practice IMOVHO!

MAY would be a word used by a thinking beek. The beek, to whom the comment was likely aimed, should know by a simple comparison with other colonies and several years experience.

aggressiveness IS partly down to bad beekeeping practice IMOVHO!

MAY would be a word used by a thinking beek. The beek, to whom the comment was likely aimed, should know by a simple comparison with other colonies and several years experience.

As our good friend Finnman has often stated 20 years with 2 hives does not give you as much experience as 10years with 300!

Aggressiveness seems to be one thing that incompetent beekeepers instill into their colonies.... IMOVLAHE of course.

Yeghes da

So don't be secretive, tell us new beeks how NOT to instill aggressiveness into our bee colonies.

A few tips for a defencive colony
After a gentle puff of smoke wait 5 minutes before entering
Always work from the side or rear
try and do inspections mid day when foragers are out and about
Break seal on crown board by running your hive tool around the perimeter first not to crack the propolis
Work as if you are under water with slow movements, defencive bees always seem to attack fast moving objects.
Don't roll the bees between frames
Don't shake bees off the frames
Use leather gloves if it gives you more confidence
Use a clean hive tool with no residue on it from a previous inspected hive, I have had bees trying to sting the hive tool.
Hope this helps

A few tips for a defencive colony
After a gentle puff of smoke wait 5 minutes before entering
Always work from the side or rear
try and do inspections mid day when foragers are out and about
Break seal on crown board by running your hive tool around the perimeter first not to crack the propolis
Work as if you are under water with slow movements, defencive bees always seem to attack fast moving objects.
Don't roll the bees between frames
Don't shake bees off the frames
Use leather gloves if it gives you more confidence
Use a clean hive tool with no residue on it from a previous inspected hive, I have had bees trying to sting the hive tool.
Hope this helps

Great and useful advice, I would also add:
Be very selective about listening to the bxxxxks spouted by some on this forum !!

hi rosie

ive got some buckfast queen cells in the incubator
you are very welcome to have one to see how you get on.
they are due to emerge in 4 days
would need collecting before thurs eve (Clayton green area)
where are you ????

i will have some mated queens in a couple of weeks

i will pm you my number
Sorry Hedgehog66, can't see your PM

No eggs, no lava, just previously capped brood. Queen was previously marked blue, so should be easy to see. Some play cups only now, not charged. Bees happy enough, but they have always been very placid and in the last 3 years have never attempted to swarm or built excessive Q cells

It gets a little complicated over the previous few weeks with over comb building due to too much bee space. Anyway, the result was an attempt at a Bailey comb change and a Q excluder under the brood box (as advised by experienced BK).

What does IMOVHE mean???

In My Own Very Honest Opinion :)

Latest posts

Back