Mass of bees in entrance - normal?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
On this afternoon's visit to my hive, I encountered this!

SANY0198800x600.jpg

Is that kind of massing of bees normal? They still seemed to be getting in and out OK - but I've never seen that many bees around the entrance before!

It was very warm today - and they had the sun on the hive all day (probably the first time that has happened since I've had them).

The entrance was clear, at least as far as I could see from inside it was clear. No entrance block in in place at all.

On your last inspection how many frames are in your hive being used by the colony are you using half of the hive with the divider in and do you have supers on top?

MM,

That grey thing, could be called a varroa board, is about as useful as a chocolate teapot for sealing anything! I am thinking there may be a design flaw lurking beneath that plastic skin.....when things get really hot! At least mine can only conduct, not convect!

Regards, RAB

When I inspected this time last week, they were across all 11 frames - HOWEVER, I removed 1 frame as it was one of the original standard Nationals that I got the nuc on - and replaced it with a new (undrawn) 14x12 frame.
They have honey in 2.5 of the 14x12 frames.

Yes, using half the hive with the division board in.

Yes, added supers 2 weeks ago - they only started using them this week - but did so with gusto! They are almost full!

The grey thing you can see under the hive is the "inspection board" - which is essentially a piece of corrugated plastic, which sits about 2" below the OMF, the purpose of which is to "collect" fallen varroa, which can then be counted.

I have yet to see any... either my eyesight is failing, or they haven't got it yet!

Don't get me started on design flaws... I am currently "chatting" with the Omlet-people on several issues I have!

Over all, I like the hive, and I think it is a good idea - a bit too expensive, and not to everyone's taste, but I'm pleased with it. I just wish there was someone at Omlet who had some clue what they were talking about when it came to bees/hives!

Still - let us not start that debate in this thread - I'm more concerned about my massing bees!

When I inspected this time last week, they were across all 11 frames - HOWEVER, I removed 1 frame as it was one of the original standard Nationals that I got the nuc on - and replaced it with a new (undrawn) 14x12 frame.
They have honey in 2.5 of the 14x12 frames.

Yes, using half the hive with the division board in.

Yes, added supers 2 weeks ago - they only started using them this week - but did so with gusto! They are almost full!

As long as they are not making queen cells then I agree with the other replies about them managing the heat in the hive. Would be worth if you haven't already lifting off your supers and placing another two on (half supers if I'm right so needs two) then put the almost full supers back on top.

I thought the same with regards the supers - I hadn't expected them to fill them nearly so quickly - say, they've had them 3 weeks, and for the first 2, didn't go anywhere near them - in the last week, they have drawn comb, and filled with nectar!

I don't have any more supers - or frames for that matter - but will be ordering some mucho rapido today!

I'm told that the bees are still "gathered" this morning - but are still getting in and out.

As for queen cells - they are a bit obsessed with making "play cups", but I don't think any have developed past that yet.

:willy_nilly:

No I just caught some buttons on my phone, couldn't stop it, bloody thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"inspection board" - which is essentially a piece of corrugated plastic, which sits about 2" below the OMF,

That sheet of Kaysersberg is pretty much ussless, blows off in the wind, to big a gap for fuming sealing.

Sagging issue sloved, but needs more work.

Just wait for the solar powered AC system for both summer cooling and winter heating.

Oh wait that sounds like a cool box!:banghead:

Just wait for the solar powered AC system for both summer cooling and winter heating.

Oh wait that sounds like a cool box!:banghead:

Now now... !!! :boxing_smiley:
Don't make me retreat back to the special forum for us coolbox owners!

Thanks all for your comments - apparently they are still rather bunging up the entrance, but there are plenty of bees coming and going - so hopefully I won't get a panicked phone call at work telling me my bees have swarmed!

:cheers2:

Don't make me retreat back to the special forum for us coolbox owners!

I am on that forum as well as a regular poster......and a fellow beehaus owner :grouphug:

PS have you found where the bees are getting into you hive when you block off the propper entrance ref stum grinding?

Last edited:
Ahhh - we're like one big happy family of coolbox owners! :hurray:

Yes, I *THINK* I've found where they were getting out - it seems they were also escaping in quite large numbers into the other half of the hive too - I think I've sorted that one too.

Both a bit difficult to explain - so if you don't mind, I won't do it here, and fill up this post - I'll update my original posting on the other forum.
If anyone is interested, it'll be here shortly:
http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=65724

(sorry to Admin if I shouldn't post links to other forums - if it's any consolation... I don't think I'd class it as "competition"!!!!)

Latest posts

Back