Mason Jar Honey Supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Ive been watching videos on youtube about people making honey supers with mason jars for the bees to make the comb in then to top up with honey to sell..

Just wondered if anyone had tried or had any opinions????

Attachments

• bee jars.jpg
    bee jars.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 56
Yes, there are an awful lot of terrible beekeeping videos on you tube! Some are brilliant.

Tried the idea a couple of years ago, wish I had not bothered.

Tried it myself, they filled the jars with comb then lost interest.

It dates from the 19th century. See Neighbour's Improved Cottage Hive - here -, illustrated in Gene Kritsky's 'The quest for the perfect hive'.

It dates from the 19th century. See Neighbour's Improved Cottage Hive - here -, illustrated in Gene Kritsky's 'The quest for the perfect hive'.

A beekeeping friend has a set of jars like those which he gets his bees to fill. We saw a jar they filled last summer at a recent Association meeting.

I made a couple up a few years ago they were a lot of hassle to use and not that successful, ended up putting the two I'd made into our association auction at least I made a profit on them.Seems like another thing you buy or make that end up at the back of the shed.

Latest posts

Back