Marzipan as fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeconcerned

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been offered a free 12.5 Kg box of marzipan, and some other large chunks too. The ingredients are Glucose syrup, Invert sugar syrup, Water, and 25% almonds. I am wondering whether to use it as winter 'fondant'.
I seem to remember reading that bees dislike the smell of almonds, but mine don't seem to mind. As a test I placed a small chunk of marzipan alongside a chunk of fondant the same size, and so far they have taken more of the marzipan.
Is the nut content likely to be beneficial, or cause problems?

As a test I placed a small chunk of marzipan alongside a chunk of fondant the same size, and so far they have taken more of the marzipan.

I like marzipan... please let us know how the test goes with the rest of the block of marzipan.

Marzipan 50% fat, 40% Sugar
Rape pollen has oil 7% and it is said that it is maximum fat content what the bee can eate.

Last edited:
Almonds
Fiber: 3.5 grams.
Protein: 6 grams.
Fat: 14 grams (9 of which are monounsaturated).
Vitamin E: 37% of the RDA.
Manganese: 32% of the RDA.
Magnesium: 20% of the RDA.
They also contain a decent amount of copper, vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and phosphorus.

Anyone know the RDA of a bee ?

Almonds
They also contain a decent amount of copper, vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and phosphorus.

I think you would need to eat a lot of drone brood to get fat!

Nos da

The almonds sound like a rich substitute for pollen. If the bees eat that instead of fondant or syrup/honey stores they will be taking in more dietary fibre surely? Will they be able to keep their legs crossed if the weather's too bad to fly?

And don't even sweet almonds contain a trace of cyanide? If it's a "trace" for us, what is it to a bee?

oh dear you ideas.

Sugar is 50 cent/kg.
Give the marzipan to poor families.

Bees are not able to eate almonds.

Last edited:
Almonds

Is that 100 g almond or what is the basic stuff amount.

My link says that 100 g almond has 51% fat and 24% protein

Last edited:
Would I take the risk just to save on buying eight quid's worth of fondant?

Christmas is coming - just throw the marzipan down your Gregory followed by a schooner of sherry and buy a block of baker's fondant :)

You could always make loads of Christmas cakes and marzipan sweets to give as gifts this year, if you eat that lot you will never fit in your bee suit in the Spring.

I very much doubt it Finnie......he could make bee shaped sweet treats though ....this subject has tickled me

Latest posts

Back