Marking hives/branding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandF

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have any suggestions for marking our hive parts to deter thieving?

We had an old freezer under our car port which I was using to freeze frames for 24 hours prior to storing. For the first time today in ages both our cars were off the drive, for about 30 mins, and some thieiving chav has nicked it. Presumably they thought it wasnt working, but it makes me think if the lowlife classes want to nick that, they will possibly think about nicking my growing stack of supers which I also have under the car port, and which were going to live there all winter.

I was going to number the supers on the outside, for our benefit, but now I am thinking of also marking them to deter opportunists.

So, I thought of branding them, on the outside - with our postcode, or tel number? Any thoughts? Also, if someone has branded their equipment, any recommendations for what and were to buy?

Thanks

Did anyone get one of Lidl's little (modified soldering iron?) branding devices?

Did anyone get one of Lidl's little (modified soldering iron?) branding devices?

I did and am not impressed. I dont think it gets hot enough to work well.

I've also got a barbecue branding iron, but I've been waiting for barbecue weather to use it.

If you got a stack of supers ,why not chain and lock them.Or wire cable and lock them.
It would make hell of alot of noise when they take the top one off and the rest follow.

The link isn't working properly.

yep it is.

http://www.dave-cush man.net/bee/branding.html . . . . . just take the space from between the h and the m for the link to work.[/QUOTE]

click on it. when it says its not working, look at the address bar at the top of the page, between "cush" and "man" where the space is you will see %20 delete this and hit the return button. it will then work.

:iagree:

Thanks dpearce4 I thought I had made it clear.

I highlighted the link and pressed Ctrl C then copied it into the address line on a new browser page. Went to Cush man and removed the space and pressed return. and the page came up.

It looks a great solution but he did have a gravograph to make the letters. For non-engineering bods like myself an alternative solution to getting the letters would be needed.

Maplin do a set of letter/numbers and an auto punch and I have postcoded all my kit with this. Quite laborious but it punches quite deep and clear. Anyone try to nick them and I'll postcode their forehead the same way!

I bought a wood brander from Amazon - used for art/craft work and it has worked well marking my boxes. Mind you the b............sds often just take the frames! So I have been thinking of branding those too!
Louise

Latest posts

Back