Marking and clipping queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit I've been half expecting my queen marking with Posca pens to start coming off after some of the forum comments, but so far they're still well marked. My bees obviously don't wash much! ;)
I do keep the queen caged for a few minutes after I've marked her for it to thoroughly dry off before she goes back in the hive though.

I mark all queens 1st season and clip the following april and rarely lose any prime swarms as a consquence (but get a few under the OMFs) . I think many beekeepers don't clip as they don't have the confidence to pick up a queen and are afraid of damaging her. Practising on drones is a good way to learn the technique (although drones don't raise a leg whereas some queens do when you are about to clip).
When I took my preliminary BBKA exam in 1959 I was asked to pick up a worker without it stinging me ! This skill is useful for putting workers into travel/intro cages to look after the queen.

My landlord has a satsuma that will never need marking.
I feel happier using water based paint, it might get worn now and then but I can live with that.
I wouldn't dream of clipping.

I also move frames around in spring (boosting weaker colonies, keeping booming ones under control). Marked Q significantly reduces the chance of shaking or Moving her out of the box by mistake.

Ive been marking with Posca and always keep the queen separate for a at least a couple of minutes for it to thoroughly dry - how long does toma oil based take to dry?

I let her dry as well if I can keep the other bees off her but the toma has definitely lasted better so far, Ive re-marked some of last years with the posca and did some blue posca as well which isn't fairing great.

Bit anecdotal but I noticed that the queens I have gotten from Ged Marshall come in the same shade of blue so I assume he uses the toma markers, I have red queens of his which are still perfect.

I let her dry as well if I can keep the other bees off her but the toma has definitely lasted better so far, Ive re-marked some of last years with the posca and did some blue posca as well which isn't fairing great.

Bit anecdotal but I noticed that the queens I have gotten from Ged Marshall come in the same shade of blue so I assume he uses the toma markers, I have red queens of his which are still perfect.
I too have a well marked red queen - I marked her with a Posca ! I wonder if perhaps the quality of the colourants used is not consistent ?

I have yet (touch wood) not had a problem with Posca's. I bought a set 4 years ago and the blue I've used this year is holding on well and the green from lat year is still doing well, albeit there is less than what I initially put on. When I use mine I push the tip of the pen down on the back of my glove so a lot of paint/ink is on the tip ready for going on to the queen are the people who have problems with it not sticking doing this?

Mmmm...All very interesting. Thank you all for your input.
I find that finding, catching, clipping and marking is very easy and have taught others to do the same. It just takes a little practice to get up to speed and as 'master BK' pointed out, practising on drones is a great way to perfect your skills. Whole procedure takes but a couple of minutes (after finding her of course) which for me is time well spent.
Both my youngest daughters (26 and 29) are even better at it than me now :cry: .
We use this catcher and these clippers. Paint used is Posca. Whilst inspecting, it's so easy to find the queen and if the mark is starting to fade, just touch it up. No problemo:).
We take the caught queen away a couple of metres and get rid of any workers in the catcher. We clip first and mark second (always clipping the same wing). I use exactly the same technique as 'Beekeeper Brownie' and will dab the paint stick on her 2/3 times to build up the paint layer. I allow the paint to fully dry for a minute or so before reintroducing her back on the same frame that she was found on.
Of course, if I supply queens to someone else then I leave them to make the choice if they want their queen to be M/C'd or left as is.

Mark with Toma.. Great improvement on Posca and cheaper too if you buy on ebay

Don't clip. Will not clip.

Breed less swarmy bees and keep young queens...Minimises the risk of swarming...(note the careful choice of words.

mark with whichever paint hasnt dried up. Never clip.
Never mark if I'm not sure if its a virgin which hasn't mated in case I cock up her wing roots with paint

Latest posts

Back