Marking and clipping queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don’t but I would suggest that anybody who keeps bees in their city or suburban garden should.

My Queens are all marked. I'm in a suburban area and clip Queens in their second year or at least when they're more likely to swarm. I have two new Queens from this year that I haven't clipped yet and won't until next year because I know neither colony headed by them has shown any signs of being ready or wanting to swarm. I know I'll clip them eventually but I don't really like doing it so just put it off until I think I really have to 🙄

Yes to both. Seeing the queen easily is always reassuring and clipping minimises the chances of losing a swarm and them becoming a nuisance to someone or I lose them. However I do try to not let them swarm in the first place......

I mark mine but normally within a week or two the paints fading off her. This year was the 1st year I’ve ever clipped my queens and I think it is something I will keep doing after many years of not clipping.

I use tippex for marking so all are white.
I clip usually the following year.

I mark if I have raised my own queen. I don’t clip ( too cack handed)
I use the white marker pen and mark the year in the hive record.
On the front of the hive on the number plate I attach it with a coloured drawing pin of the correct year number so this year the pin is blue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 8A243A74-FFA7-4862-A3D8-4A0718B74A36.jpeg
    8A243A74-FFA7-4862-A3D8-4A0718B74A36.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
I started using the blue Toma marker this year instead of the Posca, seems more durable. Think I will replace the Poscas.
Yea, I switched from Posca to Toma as I got frustrated, marking Q’s and it was gone after several weeks.

We mark and clip all our queens as a matter of course (Once there is sealed brood).
It would be interesting to know how many members mark and clip their queens?
Mark and clip and always have and always will - as practised by my SBI/RBI/Wax Chandler Award/BKA Chair mentor pal many years ago. Helps stop loss from swarming too.

I started using the blue Toma marker this year instead of the Posca, seems more durable. Think I will replace the Poscas.
Ive been marking with Posca and always keep the queen separate for a at least a couple of minutes for it to thoroughly dry - how long does toma oil based take to dry?

Latest posts

Back