Marker Paint for Q

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is the Paint used to mark the Q a special one as i was wondering as this is my first swarm and have no mark on her could i use tipex (white) i know she should be blue but not got any or could i use the airfix paints you can buy at the model shops or even matt paint,
As i lots of spare bright colours

OR STOP WHAT AM I THINKING OF, CALL MYSELF A BEE KEEPER WHAT WAS I THINKING
IF I DON'T ASK I WON'T KNOW

Only asking as im going to inspect hopfully today and if i see the Q I would like to mark with something to make her more easier to see
Or wait till i get the proper stuff as she is a living thing most inportant to the colany and Don't posioner her with that stuff :smash::confused:

Please advise Or tell me off what ever you think the thing is i've not done it yet

As long as you know the year of the queens's birth (write this down on the hive record sheet) you can use any colour you like.

I know beeks who use Tipex and find it OK.

A major breeder in our area uses tippex - that said I've heard a lecture from a very experienced BBKA chap who said he wouldn't use it as there was a skull and crossbones on the bottle! He used model paints.

Would definitely recommend marking, as a fellow new beek I find it hard enough to spot her with a bright blue blob. Without would be impossible.

Colour doesn't matter to the bees, so only of concern if you think it would help you.

I would recommend practising on a passing drone or two first - it must go on the thorax and you dont want to damage her.

EDIT - if you find her hard to track down at this time of year it will be easier to do in the spring when the colony has thinned out

Last edited:
The pens that several beekeeping supplies places sell are "Uni Posca" water based markers. I have also heard of people using acrylic paints. The theme seems to be fast drying, and water based but water resistant when dry.

One thing- whatever you use make sure the paint/tippex is dry before you release the queen back into the hive. Apparently any strange smell may cause the workers to kill queenie. It's happened to me and, I'm sure, to many others.

First consideration is: prime or cast swarm? If cast, don't - until mated (and laying).

Better possibly, at this time of the year, a job left until Springtime (as soon as drones are on the wing). There is a chance your only queen will be rejected and killed; not a good time of the year for that. Well not a good time (anytime) for any with just one colony and without experience of doing it.......

Regards, RAB

:iagree: Thank you i've decide that if i go in today with the intention to inspect weather permitting and see her (as my eye sight is not that good hence specs) and looking outside rain has stopped play,
i wont mark her till spring asuming they are successful over winter
the paint question still stands how many do use model paint /tipex though
Thanks Alan

My moto is the day i stop learning will be the day i die

The acrylic paints you can buy from Games Workshop are very good. They come in small easy to open bottles and are water soluble - until dry of course. I've started using them also for fixing marking discs on queens. By using a paint the same colour as the disk, if the disk falls off there will still hopefully be some paint visible.

My marking tips:

Puff a little smoke on the queen when marking is dry and then onto the frames she is going on.

Always put her her were the bees expect to find her,a frame with eggs/brood.

do you want an apprentice to give you a hand beehive? I'd have my 3 kids in tow, but they are safe around hives and would play quietly while I was " doing my thang" lol

Our mentor can't make it until 31st Aug, and I want my bee fix...now lol

Latest posts

Back