Marked Queens in a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trulli1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is a purely out of interest couple of questions:

1. Who on this forum has captured a swarm and found the queen to be marked and not “belonging” to one of their colonies?

2. What colour was she marked and what year did you capture the swarm?

Last season.

Green.

I don't mark my queens!

Not many, I would think. Most of those who mark their queens would not be so very likely to lose their own queens (and a lot of those colonies are likely have a clipped queen).

That leaves the bought-in marked (and unclipped) queens. If the colonies are successful there will likely be many more later this year and particularly next, lost by those new beeks with bees in small hives, with little idea of swarm control, or with bees for the 'fashion' of it.

Regards, RAB

This is a purely out of interest couple of questions:

1. Who on this forum has captured a swarm and found the queen to be marked and not “belonging” to one of their colonies?

2. What colour was she marked and what year did you capture the swarm?

Me!! she was marked green (08), captured on june 2nd last year, and is still going strong!!

I thought '08 was red and 09 green.

correct! but this queen wasn't originally marked, the owner marked it with green (what was available) in may '09. she was part of a purchased, over-wintered '08 'nuc'.
(hope that makes sense?)

Latest posts

Back