Marine ply for hive construction?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeknysToddy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi, is marine ply suitable for building a hive or am I better using regular ply which is about 2/3rds the price? Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

TT.

hi TT,

i make all my hives from 18mm regular/ shutter ply, they are all but jointed, glued,and stable gunned with 40mm stables, its quick strong and cheap.

i three coat them with bee friendly wood persevere green let them dry and you are good to go,

regards TC

Cheers, TC.:cheers2:

What preserve do you use, been told cuprinol is a good choice?

TT.

Cuprinol is one of the better ones or if you want more then just preservative try one of the sadilon range you can have your bee hives any colour you want, and i have also made loads of bee hives nucs and alsorts from ordinary ply wood shuttering grade has one smoth face and one rough and is pretty hard wearing anyway so , follow tc's example

Thanks very much. Helpfull people here, this is my first post on this forum and a very fast response. Thanks again, going shopping tommorrow now.

TT.

What sort of prices are members finding for 18mm 8x4 sheet ply please.

£15.50 plus the vodka and tonic for 18mm 8x4 sheet shutter ply with one good side, these are what i use to make all my boxes with,

wood peckers hate them.

TC

Last edited:
?20 in Carrickfergus. Possibly plus the vat.

Offtopic alert!
I spent a few days in Whitehead last summer,drove a fast rental car up the antrim coast to Bushmills to sample the fine offerings at the distillery.

Spent a day in Carrickfergus pubs drinking with some of the most friendly people I have ever met.

Its a place I will return to one day.

I get all my ply from the building sites i work on what i do is take home pieces that are 500mm long and either 180mm or 400mm wide when i have four i turn them into a flat pack super or brood or wbc outer, any thing you want realy i can also at times get hold of 10mm and 6mm sheet off cuts some times, the best price for ply by me is one of the local builders merchants £17.50 including vat one pound on top if you want it delivered

Good quality hardwood faced exterior grade 18 mm ply ?24.00 8x4 sheet total price. not asked about shuttering ply yet,but suspect it will be very cheap from this independant timber merchant. also sells packs of 50 sheets at good discount.

Glad you enjoyed it, give me a shout if you are coming back and I will take you to some decent pubs.

Offtopic alert!
I spent a few days in Whitehead last summer,drove a fast rental car up the antrim coast to Bushmills to sample the fine offerings at the distillery.

Spent a day in Carrickfergus pubs drinking with some of the most friendly people I have ever met.

Its a place I will return to one day.

If buying ply, particularly cheap ply, buy a sheet and try it before investing too heavily.

I used to buy this for a construction company, and as soon as we tried to go too cheap, it was crap gear. In the long run, it is probably better to spend an extra couple of quid a sheet, and get good stuff that will last for years, than to get the cheapest stuff possible that may even delaminate when cutting (I made this mistake once).

Generally speaking, I find that independant timber merchants are very good, reasonably priced and knowledgable. you can often get them to cut it as required, providing that you dont go in at 11-30 on a Saturday morning when they close at 12!! Builders merchants are pretty good now, particularly the smaller local ones.

Mark

I concur with Marcus totally.

I bought so much ply from my old local merchant I was on a 10% discount for the whole range of kit. They offered it to me I didn't even ask. Mind you asking is always an idea...LOL Esp in this climate.

PH

Back