Many swarms happening?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys and gals.

Currently out of the country so just wondering if there are many swarms so far this season? I have left me bees in the capable hands of a family member and have yet to speak to them regarding the weather etc so hope thinks aren't too mad there!?

Hope all is well in the land off keeping.

Rob.

Bees are still trying to swarm in Hants.
I was told only last night that one of my hives may be trying to escape,I also have a couple of virgins mating so it could of been that instead,the message was a bit vague.

Will have to pop up this afternoon and check..

I had two calls last friday for swarms around York, sadly away from base so could not oblige. Dry but close and 'stormy' here, I suspect the flow has eased off but will come back with a bit of rain (expected) so there will be a few cooped up hives by next weekend. I don't think the swarm season is over around here quite yet.

Just checked my 4, fortunately OK, but they are piling on the honey!

Had a rash of swarm collections up until about 10 days ago or so.....things/phone calls seem to have quietened down a bit now.

Had to AS (demaree) one of my own black bee colonies yesterday, but oddly enough my Buckfast and Buckfast X bees have shown no inclination to swarm this season......as yet!

Last swarm call three days ago so not over yet but definitely quieting down after a busy May/June.

have caught a few swarms in bait boxes.

My bees are still producing QC's though... regardless of how much space they have. Checked 5 hives yeasterday... one had swarmed, 3 others had QC's.

I collected a good size swarm Friday and then got a call for a colony 'cut out' from a compost bin lid, it must have been there some time, 5 lovely shaped honey combs packed with stores and mixed brood, including sealed!
Definitely less calls than May and start of June but not over yet!

**Must get more hives ready!**

From one double hive we took 3 nucs out (2 frames brood/bees, 2 frames stores, 1 drawn each) at the middle of May as it was bursting at the seams, and put back on a drawn brood box. Early June is had wet queen cells, so we split it. That split swarmed (a cast) about 3 weeks later (fortunately while we were looking at it!), and the original hive is showing wet queen cells again.

So yes, swarming is definitely going on in southern Scotland! :)

Latest posts

Back