Manuka Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baggyone

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Went into the local deli on saturday and they are selling some Manuka honey with labels on it from a beekeeper in Friskney, Lincs. Now I know that the NZ peeps really hate people claiming things that they are not.

However, if he is buying manuka honey in bulk and rebottling it with his own labels is that not misleading at the very least and illegal at worst?

Depends what's on any fine print on the label. If it says something like "bottled in Friskney" or something like that, it is probably legal. People have been prosecuted for passing off foreign honey as UK honey but any case would rest around the wording on the label.

There is an estate in Cornwall selling Manuka honey from their own bushes (at a mega price) but I am not aware of anyone else doing this in the UK. Sounds as if he/she is on thin ice.

A few years ago I was given quite a few Manuka bushes which I planted in my garden, now they are really quite large and when in flower, they are covered in bees, So the question is could I sell honey with "multi-floral including manuka" on the label? Just a thought.

Enzo

I think you could sell it as Manuka,anyone remember what % it has to be,I think its something really low?

It looks like the percentage is 75% to be mono floral

UK HONEY LABELLING REGULATIONS
For more detailed information - go to the website of the Food Standards Agency.

The Word "HONEY" is required.
The weight must be on the label - we will ensure it is the legal size and format.
You can specify the area where the honey is produced. For example, Lincolnshire, Forest of Dean, Scottish Borders.
You can specify the type of honey. For example, Heather, Borage. The honey must be at least 75% of that particular type.
If you are selling the honey, you must have your name and address on the label. It does not need to be complete but you should be able to be found from the information.
If you are selling the honey through a third party, you must have a lot number.
New for 2003 You must have a best before date on the jar. We suggest 2-5 years from now.
New for 2003 You must have a country of origin on the jar. For example - Produce of England, Product of Scotland, Harvested in Wales. Adding the country to the end of your address is not acceptable.

At the BBC Good Food Show last year, we challenged a stallholder who was advertising his Manuka honey as from 'the only British producer'.
When we asked where in UK the bees were kept, he became all embarrassed and coy and wouldn't speak to us.

Liar, liar. Pants on fire!:redface:

At the BBC Good Food Show last year, we challenged a stallholder who was advertising his Manuka honey as from 'the only British producer'.
When we asked where in UK the bees were kept, he became all embarrassed and coy and wouldn't speak to us.

Liar, liar. Pants on fire!:redface:

I'm fairly liberal minded on life and people but that is fraud, plain and simple.

Maybe it was Chinese Manuka

That would be the stuff they were marketing with the antibiotics already in it?

Regards, RAB

We grew a few L. scoparium but found they did not flower very well, have now got a scoparium x ? that flowers like crazy and intend to increase the amount over the next few years.

Anyone want some seed pods to try, best if you smoke the pod for an hour or two before extracting the seeds.

Its a shame that they use the same label as it simply looks like his own honey ( which i have eaten LOADS of before my own beekeeping).

The labelling regs are to blame imho for the mis understanding.

Back