Mans best friend ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the depressing post, but I need to unload somewhere...

I lost my pup, Peanut, today. She loved other dogs and would usually run up to them and try and entice them to play, but for for whatever reason she saw a dog on our usual route through the woods and bolted. After 3 hours of walking all over the woods calling for her I spotted her dead on a nearby railway line all seemingly securely fenced in with no way to get to her. Network Rail were able to retrieve her and there wasn't a mark on her body - likely electrocuted by the live rail. She didn't even make it to 1.5 years old :cry:.

IMG_20230505_184550 - Copy.jpg

I lost my pup, Peanut, today. She loved other dogs and would usually run up to them and try and entice them to play, but for for whatever reason she saw a dog on our usual route through the woods and bolted. After 3 hours of walking all over the woods calling for her I spotted her dead on a nearby railway line all seemingly securely fenced in with no way to get to her. Network Rail were able to retrieve her and there wasn't a mark on her body - likely electrocuted by the live rail. She didn't even make it to 1.5 years old :cry:.

View attachment 36169
So sorry to hear that our furry friends are certainly part of the family and loosing them is always hard!

View attachment 36169
That is so very sad ....our's took off after a deer in the woods last week (he's never shown any sign of running off from us until now but obviously the deer was just too much od an enticement). We were worried sick as there is a very fast road that runs down one side of the wood and only about 100 yards away. As luck would have it we had him on a long line and he didn't get too far into the undergrowth as the deer was to quick for him and the end of the long line caught around the base of a holly bush. He was sat there barking for us to come and release him. We breathed a massive sigh of relief but it could, so easily, have been a similar tragedy. I feel your pain.

View attachment 36169
Oh my! I am so sorry. That is such a lovely picture too. You must be devastated.
My last dog was my shadow. I have his ashes together with his old punctured ball and his collar. He is coming with me on my last ride.

View attachment 36169
That’s dreadful. It’s bad enough having them put to sleep when old or ill, but the shock must be dreadful. I’m so sorry for you.

That’s dreadful. It’s bad enough having them put to sleep when old or ill, but the shock must be dreadful. I’m so sorry for you.
It's a huge shock, that picture was taken a few days ago in the same woods, it could just as easily have been taken this morning before she ran off, and now she's just... gone. Telling the kids was one of the hardest things I've had to do - my youngest is 4 and I don't think she fully understands, but the eldest is 8 and she's utterly devastated.

So sorry to hear about little Peanut. I hope in time, the good times you’ve had with her will be stronger than the sadness you feel now. Take care.

Back