manley frames: radial or Tang extraction?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve115cbr

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Morning all, I am sorry but this is yet another another newbie question!
This is the start of my second season having done a course and aquired a nuke this time last year. However my nuke had a old clipped Q that was already failing so I spent most of last summer learning about swarming and eventually experiencing laying workers, so I was just happy to get my girls happy with a new Q that they accepted and get them strong enough to survive the winter, there was never going to be any Honey on the cards.

This year coloney is thriving and so to my question..... as Ted Hooper (RIP) was my main reference I have Hoffmans in my brood box and Manleys for my supers (these were heavily propolized last year but no crop), I am looking at buying an extractor over the next few weeks but am worried that not all take manleys, Ted Hooper said that it needs to be a radial yet reading through the forum it appears that most of you dissagree with this and say it needs to be a tangential. I was looking at either the 4 frame s/s tangential that Maisemore sell or one of the plastic Thornes universal lightweights that come in both options. Any guidence would be greatfully recieved!!!

Hi

Well i can only speak from personal experience, when i first started i bought a Tangential but found it a bloody nightmare turning the frames round to extract the other side, very fiddly, a real pain in the crack.

As my hive count increased and with it the honey crop i bought a Radial and its a dream, frames in and out without the need to turn them around, and yes i use manley.

I dont think i know anyone who uses Hoffman in their supers.

Thanks Grizzly up until two days ago i thought radial was my only option and to be honest it's still my preference but it's a stupid man that ignors experience and there are posts on this forum that say radials have problems with manley lugs being to wide there are others that saay, in tangentials the comb does'nt touch the sides and can collapse. I think I will brobably end up taking a frame with me to either thornes or Maisemore and confirming it will fit!

If you are not ever ever going to have a heather crop forget the Tangential issue.

If you are then I can advise on a slot cut in the mesh supporting the frame as they are built for Hoffmans.

Other wise make sure your chosen model can accommodate the wider side bar which most of them should but it IS ALWAYS buyer beware.

PH

If i remember rightly the Tangential type is cheaper, the one reason i chose it in the first place.

That year i did extract with manley frames using the Tangential extractor, but i am also cack handed and found turning them awkward, again this could just be an issue i have, everyone else may well manage it fine.

Good idea to take a made up frame with you and try it out, twisting and turning, but just remember it will be much heavier when full of gold.

I bought a tangential from Thorne's 2 years ago and it takes Hoffman and Manleys with no problem. I can also get brood frames in if necessary.

OK so it is a bit of a pain turning the frames round but if you've only got a couple of hives then it is no big deal.

I see you are in Witney. Which association have you joined? I'm in South Chilterns.

You are welcome to come and have a look if you like.

Cheers
Dave

I guess it also depends on how many hives you intend to keep in the end, tangential are cheaper but much slower to work which can make extracting a bit of a pain, I use a Thornes Radial 9 frame electric extractor, takes manleys also, I must say, one of my best beekeeping investments, smooth, fast and enjoyably to use, as long as you don't intend on extracting heather honey because it wont work.

All The Best, Enzo

Thanks Grizzly up until two days ago i thought radial was my only option and to be honest it's still my preference but it's a stupid man that ignors experience and there are posts on this forum that say radials have problems with manley lugs being to wide there are others that saay, in tangentials the comb does'nt touch the sides and can collapse. I think I will brobably end up taking a frame with me to either thornes or Maisemore and confirming it will fit!

try park bees of blackheath, our BKA has just bought two extractors off him at stoneleigh convention..better than £hornes

Latest posts

Back