Manipulation cloth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Spinnaker

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 + 1 nuc
Newbie question - I'm just setting up, and getting sorted. Can you use any cloth to cover the hive during an inspection? Some of them look an inordinate amount of money to buy, so I was wondering what forum members used (also what I would use to make my own).

Thanks.

You can use any sort of material that the bees wont get caught up in.

I use old towels- they are heavy enough not to blow away, keep the bees quiet and keep the warmth in. They dont get tangled in them, shake off easily and it really limits the amount of smoke needed

Another means of disease transfer,unless you have one for each hive.

Another means of disease transfer,unless you have one for each hive.

That's why I have loads of them- and they are slung in the washing machine regularly. :D.

Unless you change/clean hive tool+gloves after every hive, would the cloth make that much difference in the same apiary I mean?

You should try rinsing your hive tool and gloves between hives Veg,even in the same apairy.....especially for the first few inspections of the season.
Carry a bucket half full with disinfectant/water and keep your hive tools in the bucket.

I didnt mean to suggest that I dont do it , what i meant was if the OP doesnt clean/change gloves etc then the cloth wouldnt make much difference. (I have now found a free source for my gloves so wear a different pair for each hive)

Hivemaker you say in the above post for the first few inspections would you not carry on doing it throughout the season? (not having a go just curious as to why)

Last edited:
Of course not Veg,would not matter one bit if they don't give two hoots about disease transfer.

First few inspections is the most important, as efb does not always appear with just one examination,but you should spot it after the first few inspections, if it's there,and yes it's always good to carry out the cleaning all the time,as it only take a second.

Last edited:
Manipulation cloths are a bit old fashioned :bigear:.
Why not try placing the first removed frame flat on top of remaining frames , moving it as you go along? When it gets to the point of balance, place it on the inspected frames 'simples'

John Wilkinson

Why not try placing the first removed frame flat on top of remaining frames , moving it as you go along? When it gets to the point of balance, place it on the inspected frames 'simples'

John Wilkinson

that's exactly how I was taught to do it!!

John Wilkinson

I must be old fashioned but there's room for both methods. I use a cloth ( one for each hive) when it's cold or they're feisty and the frame when the weather is good. Horses for courses.
Cazza

Ooh, the frame idea sounds pretty good - I've never heard of that. |I may give that a go if it's ever warm again!

I use very high quality cover cloths - the bottom bit of ready-made curtains that were too long, with offcut of wood in the old hem to weight the edge.

And sorry to say I find them a complete faff and stopped using on in my 2nd year. Far too slow for me.

I pull the first frame, prop it against the side of the hive go through the rest, shove them back and pop it back in. Job done.

PH

And sorry to say I find them a complete faff and stopped using on in my 2nd year. Far too slow for me.

I pull the first frame, prop it against the side of the hive go through the rest, shove them back and pop it back in. Job done.

PH
Same here Pete ,
I have used the first frame as per my post , I only suggested it for peeps who feel uneasy having bees peeping over the top of the frames :) !

John Wilkinson

Very droll :D:D .
How soon b4 elf n safety rules out smokers ? LOL

John Wilkinson

If you have a hive that is intent on boiling over either with or without smoke, the "frame over" method definitely helps to keep them down.

Simples indeed.

it is what I was shown to do - at the same place as Tonybloke.

Back