making your own fondant!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
What exactly does the glucose syrup used for fondant have in it? Can we make our own rather than tramping around to find it locally? I wondered if it could be made with a little vegetable oil which would also keep the fondant softer. Does anyone know if vegetable oil is okay for the bees?
Thanks

vegetable oil

Bees, from time immemorial, have fed on carbohydrates in the winter. Their digestion has evolved for this (no real digestion needed for simple sugars!). Changing the input may well have repercussions. Likely not good ones, but I dion't know, off-hand.

By all means try it and report back your findings before anyone else risks their colonies, in this way, over the winter period. Also be very sure (if they survive and thrive OK) that none of this lipid can find it's way into marketed honey.

RAB

Thanks RAB, I won't try it, too anxious that my first bees get through the winter, so off to find some glucose syrup!

What exactly does the glucose syrup used for fondant have in it?
Thanks

Least we be accused of not answering your question completely, I can reliably report that the glucose syrup used for adding to fondant has GLUCOSE in it.

Small granulation size?

The latest smart asnwer is, "a little blue tube", but I have to put my hands up RT, as I can't honestly answer that question.

Strange as it seems, the source of glucose never really occurred to me . . . I must be missing a trick somewhere. :)

Rooftops,

where does the glucose come from?

Why do you ask? Can it make a difference? After all glucose is glucose?

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back