Making wax foundation.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I used to make all my own wax foundation years ago,took lots of practice to get good at it,with the kind of press i had,but got good enough to make 100 sheets in an evening, a long evening. This did not include the sizing and wire embedding. Could make it as thick, or thin as desired. No longer bother as its easier to just do the wax exchange. Has anyone else had a go at this?

Hi

If you have time to start playing with a wax press you need more bees, a bit like cleaning frames:svengo:

Regards Ian

And if you read thats why i said i no longer make it, and it has nothing to do with cleaning frames,depends how lazy you are i suppose,and what else is there to do in winter,sure its not swarm control.So beekeepers have the entire winter to do nothing else at all, but prepare for the next season,even go on hols for 6 weeks to aus like Mike.

Last edited:
I might think about making my own foundation if I knew that bought foundation contained stuff that was bad for my bees or would contaminate my honey. I don't think there is any evidence of that is there?

I have never had any probs with bought foundation,even if it is thinned down with veg oil to make it go further.

Hivemaker do you have an online link regards the veg oil?

Hi all

It's not so much what the companys put in to bulk it up but what other beeks add when doing the wax exchange.

I have seen/been told off house bricks, scrap metal and what really buggers it up parafin wax. You name it and it's been chucked into the tub by some beek or another just to stretch it out.

Best place for foundation KBS

Regards Ian

Bricks,scrap metal, whats that foundation turn out like then.

Of course.

Poly: you honestly panic over everything.

It's great fun to do and very easy if you know how to.

PH

Hi

"Bricks,scrap metal, whats that foundation turn out like then."

Normaly Just fine when its crap like that because it just sits in the bottom of the vat and the wax comes off just fine. But when parafin wax and the like get mixed in bees often refuse to draw it.

Regards Ian

Heads up Admin?

I fear I have never ever read so much nonsense in one thread.

Is this an ANC thread?

Bricks? sheesh I must be the one honest individual left.

One uncaps frames. One cleans the wax. One then makes candles or foundation.

I am happy to advise on either courses.

As for trying to cheat anyone over anything, then I am not some one you wish to know.

PH

Never heard of the parafin wax bit,but i'm not surprised they would not work it,wonder it don't kill the bee's.perhaps they could get bayer to make it,i know who would endorse it as safe.

Last edited:
Hi

Heads up admin??????????????????????

Parafin or that crapy stuff they use on candles

Poly Hive don't be so daft at what point was I suggesting that it should be incouraged, but it does go on.

It also leaves suppliers with the odd bad batch and moaning customers when it's certainly not there fault.

Oh and by the way we have met, send my regards to Murray.:rofl: and I will have that nuc back if you start accusing me of adding stuff to my wax.

Regards Ian

Last edited:
Is the bar open?

I have a couple of hundred kilos of wax to sort out at some point that was exchanged for foundation,Lets hope I have not got a box of rubble,although metal would be good as its worth more than wax down the scrap yard.

Thats questionable as the price of scrap has crashed, Carbon steel now at less than ?40T

Hi

"although metal would be good as its worth more than wax down the scrap yard."

Are you sure, the price has gone through the floor recently. Even the Chinese are slowing up

Ian

carbon was up at over ?200 T around July / August, now less than ?40 T

But the pikeys still risk their lifes to cut through our electric cables at work for the copper!

Back