making skeps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeatshellards

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
5 plus more when they come along
I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could recommend someone to teach a group of us how to make a skep.( location essex.) there are several of us in the colchester division who fancy having a go, just trying to find someone .thanks:)

I made a skep a month ago and the course with about 12 people on it was arranged through my club. Martin Buckle came up for the day and taught us. He brought along lots of different hive and skep designs and gave a history lesson on them.

He instructed us on how to make a skep and helped us through the day. I did 90% of my skep in the day and was given the materials to finish it at home, which I have done and I am very proud of it. The day cost me £20 and I came away with a skep and some knowledge which is good value in my book.

Really nice fellow and a great day.

http://www.martinatnewton.com/

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could recommend someone to teach a group of us how to make a skep.( location essex.) there are several of us in the colchester division who fancy having a go, just trying to find someone .thanks:)

I'm a member of Romford and am also interested in such a course, so if you don't get the numbers, do let me know.

I'm a member of Romford and am also interested in such a course, so if you don't get the numbers, do let me know.

Count me in too if you need to swell the numbers. Colchester is just a short hop for me.
Cazza

I'm in mid Suffolk (and sailing in Brightlingsea the week after next!) so I'd be very keen on a skep making session too please

Here's a tip for those who don't have the time or inclination for a course ... keep an eye on charity shops. Look for an old straw type linen basket with a lid. 1980's sort of style. Cut the bottom off about a foot up and bind the loose end. There is a perfect skep. Keep the lid which fits with room to spare now. This is ideal for collecting swarms. It is light to drop the bees in, they love the inside and all you do is wack the lid on, turn upside down and prop the basket up slightly for an entrance. In the evening take out the 'prop' and you have them all sealed in for transport and dropping into a real hive. Or leave them in there as a skep!
Mine is years old and has collected many many swarms nd still works a treat!
E

Count me in too please, my sister lives in Hornchurch so can combine with a visit to her!

yes i meet martin at the weekend a nice man lots of time to chat give him a call he post out stairter kit to, all you need. if he wont came out i know some one els get back to me

looks like we are in business ,thanks Andre for your offer . will keep you posted when I find out more:)

Latest posts

Back