Making out of mind nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I have doern mating nucs or I have taken a frame of bees and new born queen from the hive.

Often bees become mad and run here and there. Often the nuc cannot defend themselves against robbers it they have pale combs and the queen.

They need some brood too to feel the nuc as their home. So they calm down quickly.

In the case of swarm a frame of brood helps bees settle down in the new hive.

Last edited:
That is very interesting Finman, I shall remember to add a frame of brood the next time I am lucky enough catch a swarm. :cheers2:

Finman is so right. Bees are much less likely to abscond if they are tending brood. Also a good ploy, in some cases, for inducing a swarm to move away from an inconvenient postion when attempting to capture them.

Regards, RAB

Finman is so right. Bees are much less likely to abscond if they are tending brood. Also a good ploy, in some cases, for inducing a swarm to move away from an inconvenient postion when attempting to capture them.

Regards, RAB

Even just adding 1-2 frames of older drawn comb helps, the queen can get laying straight off and has the same effect I have found.

Back