Making candle moulds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the preparation prior to and cleaning up after extracting honey was a faff but then after having a go at candle making I now realise it's a doddle.
You jest! There’s little prep and hardly any cleaning up on my small scale. Extracting is another matter. 😂😂

I used to buy my mould making supplies from this company Plaster-of-Paris, Casting Plaster, Alginate, Moulding in Modroc, Latex, RTV Silicone, Cold-Cure Rubber, Stone Powder, Easyflo, Jesmonite, Craft Materials & Kits, ...

I think you'll find that most commercial moulds are made of Latex, rather than silicone as it's relatively easy to get a more flexible mould that can be pulled off complicated shapes more easily.

One thing you won't be able to do with silicone is mould (Unless you make it in two halves, which is more for resin moulding, than wax) what's called an undercut, whereas the flex in the latex will make it slightly easier to de-mould.

For complicated shapes like the fir cone mentioned earlier, it may well be easier to make a plasticene model of a cone first and take the mould off that. Rather than using an actual cone.

Latest posts

Back