Making bee candy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stung

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have tried to make two different batches bee candy. I have know idea what is going wrong with it. I can't get it to go solid. I started with cane sugar, water and honey. 5lb sugar,1 1/2 lb my own honey. Got everything going great. S tiring my but off as normal. I got it up to 242 degrees and it was not forming a ball in the water. Then I went farther, thinking maybe the thermometer was off, nothing. I brought it to a halt when it reached 248 degrees. Pour it and when it cooled, it was the color of caramel and not hard. HELP

Don't use honey. Easy method. Grind granulated sugar into a powder using a food processor or coffee grinder and add water. Or easier method buy some from Bako

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hello stung,
i make my own fondant and like you the first couple of efforts were not good.But now seemed to have cracked it.This is how i make my fondant.1 kg granulated sugar,300 ml water and a heaped table spoon of glucose syrup,bring the water up to boiling and add glucose syrup,then add your sugar.bring this up to between 112 and 115 centigrade and stir now and again.a nice rolling boil is good for 15 to 20 minutes and then place your pan in cold water and keep stirring.it should start to cloud up and thicken and slowly form a creamy paste.Then pour out into a 1 to 2 inch flat bottomed tray and allow to set.you may have to experiment with your boiling time a little to suit the consistancy you want.hope this helps.

Don't use honey. Easy method. Grind granulated sugar into a powder using a food processor or coffee grinder and add water.

That's what I did once when I needed fondant and didn't have any.
It works brilliantly and no heating and making mess. I'm surprised folk mess about with boiling syrup

That's what I did once when I needed fondant and didn't have any.
It works brilliantly and no heating and making mess. I'm surprised folk mess about with boiling syrup

I think it's a question of how much you need to make ...
Grinding-up a Kilo of granulated sugar using a coffee mill takes for ever. (ask me how I know this)
It does make nice fondant though, especially if you lace it with some honey, which also gives it a more plastic consistency.

This is my second year feeding a hard(ish) candy instead of fondant - seems to work ok. No complaints from the girls thus far. I make it in the microwave, in jam-jars which I then place over holes in the Crown Boards. Made 60lbs this morning, which went onto the hives this afternoon. This is the earliest in the year I've ever put supplementary feed onto hives. It's been a warm winter.
LJ

i make my candy in a burco boiler,as i need large amounts.took me one hour last week to make a 35kg batch.Not much mess.

i make my candy in a burco boiler,as i need large amounts.took me one hour last week to make a 35kg batch.Not much mess.

I also need large amounts, several tonnes a year, so I buy it, £8 per 12.5kg normally, but did buy a tonne last year for £5 per 12.5 kg, takes me no time at all, free delivery and no mess.

I just leave all the honey in there hive!
Simple :D :D

I also need large amounts, several tonnes a year, so I buy it, £8 per 12.5kg normally, but did buy a tonne last year for £5 per 12.5 kg, takes me no time at all, free delivery and no mess.

Is that all.

Well how about that! I only just received one of those heat laser guns today from e bay. £7 been messing about all afternoon taking temps lol ( ref YouTube)

Wightbees
I was hoping for comments, not on the laser gun but on what the chap is doing?
I make a lot of jam and I don't think they are that accurate but maybe yours is a better make

OK boys £5 box 12.5kg of fondant box 80 to a plate delivered free.
Halls and son bakery Mr hall TELL 01453 833321
For the hivemaker from Trigger

The trouble with the laser type is that it only records the surface temperature and not the core temperature. I found the digital jam ones are good and only a couple of quid on ebay

When I make inverted syrup for later making of fondants I use " finger thermometer", since I avoid too high temps due to HMF. Later on I mix that syrup with at least powder sugar. Also other ingredients such as mentioned honey is on beeks decision..

Last edited:
Just been watching how the Americans feed their bees, they make a candy board which is a 2 inch eke with a top entrance and a half inch screen on the bottom. They mix the sugar like it's a semi dry mix and pack it into the frame, it looks like they are making reenforced concrete. Seems to work for them

That's a darn sight better than what the chap does in the video.
Heats the syrup up, piles in pollen then boils the living daylights out of it to get to 240˚F

I made some sugar boards last year but the bees didn't eat them...they had enough stores. So I have given them this year.
Has anyone used the Mountain feeding method? Putting a sheet of newspaper over the top bars...thick layer of sugar and spray with water to firm it up.

Latest posts

Back