Making a II system

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazzamazda

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi I am in the process of making a II system. I would consider buying one but it is such a lot of money for what I can see is an overcomplicated over polished overpriced system. I have an engineer friend who can make the standard base. I have sorted the CO2 side. I have a list of bits that I need to buy but I'd like your advice on the best of the following.

Sting hook (Looking at the luer Schley)
Dorsal hook (Schley)
Holders for both (Schley)
Gilmont GS-1100 for Harbo system

What are the components that go from the syringe to tip? Is standard tubing sufficient, and what is the size.

Any help with this is very much appreciated, I could do without making BIG mistakes.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi I am in the process of making a II system. I would consider buying one but it is such a lot of money for what I can see is an overcomplicated over polished overpriced system. I have an engineer friend who can make the standard base. I have sorted the CO2 side. I have a list of bits that I need to buy but I'd like your advice on the best of the following.

Sting hook (Looking at the luer Schley)
Dorsal hook (Schley)
Holders for both (Schley)
Gilmont GS-1100 for Harbo system

What are the components that go from the syringe to tip? Is standard tubing sufficient, and what is the size.

Any help with this is very much appreciated, I could do without making BIG mistakes.

Thanks,

Mark

Some of this depends on whether you use a device mounted standard syringe (where the tips are usually ~85mm) or a Harbo syringe (where the tips are usually ~30mm). I think most people use the Harbo syringe now because it removes any movement you might transfer to the device while operating the syringe.
The sting hook (and forceps) are used on the right (dorsal) side so I think you mean a ventral hook. If you are left-handed, the model II Schley insemination device can be rotated so the dorsal side faces you and the Harbo syringe moved around to the left.
In the case of the device mounted syringe, the 85mm tip accommodates the sperm stack and is not transferred to a micro-pipette. In the case of the Harbo syringe, the 30mm tip is joined to a micro-pipette (which is housed in a clear glass barrel for ease of handling as the micro-pipette is very fragile) with a small (~1cm) piece of silicone tubing. It is effectively a sleeve which joins the two glass pieces together and has the same internal diameter as the external diameter of the tip/micro-pipette. You will get a piece of this in the pack if you order from Alexander Wachholz.
At the other end of the micro-pipette, you will join onto another piece of silicone tubing. The joint is formed with a small metal barrel (like a blunt syringe needle) covered with another 1cm piece of the silicone tubing. It forms a reasonably secure joint which has to withstand all pressure of the syringe being reduced to 0.15mm.
At the other end of the silicone tubing you have another metal tube (like another blunt syringe needle - not sure what these pieces are called) but this has a leur fitting which allows you to attach the tubing to the syringe.

I know a lot of this is descriptive rather than precise, but I have tried to explain the way these parts fit together and how they do the job.
As always, there are "many ways to skin a cat" and you could also choose the 85mm tip/pipette combination which has fewer parts. The disadvantage is that you have to have a steady hand so as not to move the instrument while operating the syringe. Any movement at the syringe end can have a disastrous effect at the tip end so you want this to be as stable as possible

Last edited:
Thank you both. Lots of reading and understanding. I think a Harbo syringe setup is a must.

Here's a old read if your interested https://ufdc.ufl.edu/AA00023159/00001/1x

If I remember correctly, Northern Bee Books had a reprint of this which is a lot easier to read. I bought a copy out of interest. It is fundamentally the same process but there are small differences depending on which device you use.
We didn't talk at all about the Sweinty or simplified holder which depends even more on a steady hand as you grasp the sting manually with forceps. You have to have a VERY steady hand to use this though.

Can anyone recommend any YouTube videos/downloads for some online learning?

Thinking of doing a course next year. Any courses in particular anyone would recommend?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

There is a Sue Cobey video on II which is excellent. I suspect it will be on utube.

There is a Sue Cobey video on II which is excellent. I suspect it will be on utube.
Ooh there are a good few. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The Institute at Marburg ran a course which I believe was internationally recognised. No doubt expensive and probably only for people who intend making a living from it. The one thing I do clearly remember was the constant shouting of "more drones"...

PH

Latest posts

Back