Make your own fondant queries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
OK, I have had a go at making some fondant. I used 1kg sugar to 1/4litre of water, heated until boiling and boiled for one minute. cooled rapidly in cold water. stirring all the time. Poured it out into a container. it has now gone quite hard.

Couple of questions.

Should it go quite hard?

is this still usable?

BB

OK, I have had a go at making some fondant. I used 1kg sugar to 1/4litre of water, heated until boiling and boiled for one minute. cooled rapidly in cold water. stirring all the time. Poured it out into a container. it has now gone quite hard.

Couple of questions.

Should it go quite hard?

is this still usable?

BB
The recipe I use is Ron Brown's one one part water to 5 parts sugar dissolve with heat and after all is dissolved boil to a temperature of 234 Fahrenheit (stirring all the time). Remove from heat and coll rapidly stirring until it starts to cloud. Pour quickly into moulds.

It should form a soft fudge.

It is an easy formula to remember 1-234-5

If your candy is white then it should be useable just add a little water to your hard candy to soften it slightly.
Ruary

If your candy is white then it should be useable just add a little water to your hard candy to soften it slightly.
Ruary

it is white, so it should be ok then.

24% and 20%. Probably not close enough for this job. The boiling temperature and "dropping a 'blob' into cold water test" should be the way to go.

Regards, RAB

Fine-tuning my fondant

Made some last night, but not completely sure what I'm aiming at. Now it's completely cold I can just press my thumb into it a few mm. Is this too hard? I was expecting it to be like a block of roll-out icing. Still white though.

By the way, the instructions miss out the bit that says ' remove from heat, place into cold water. Slosh a load of cold water into saucepan, start again' DOH!

Basic cookery lesson

Sugar and water mixed (stirred) makes a solution. ie the sugar dissloves in the water.

Now if you boil that mixture, water only will boil off initially, later when most of the water is driven off, other things will happen,

As the sugar concentration rises, so does the temperature at which the remaining mix boils. Depenent on the boiling temperature at the time will determine whether the mix :

A) does not set - as in sugar syrup for feeding bees (not needed to be boiled for that!)

B) soft, goopy, almost runny fondant type material which likely has a use - for pouring over tea cakes to give a thin coat which will then dry further, perhaps.

C) Fondant as one requires for feeding the bees.

D) fondant which is too hard for feeding bees easily.

E) rock hard fondant.

F) a sort of caramel, chewy like toffee.

G) a rock hard caramel.

H) burned sugar and charcoal, if it doesn't actually catch fire!

There may be other useful products for the cook/chef, I don't know.

So you have to get the right temperature (and thermometers are likely to give reproducible readings, but are often far less than from accurate).

So you need to find the boiling temperature indication you require by trial and error or by using the dropping a 'a blob' into cold water and observing what happens.

A) would be nothing, through to the later ones which all give a changing reult in the test. I think for soft fodant a blob which does not break up too easily when picked out of the water is about right. Trial and error again. Once you get it right, it is easy to use that same boiling point indication (whatever it might be) to reproduce the product again and again.

Simple really, but easier said than done for some.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back