Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Oakbear 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,

I know i a newb here, but i've noticed the main forum moves pretty fast.
Fast enough both my topics of a couple of days ago are on page 3 now.

I appreciate that threads die and conclude naturally, but i can see other threads where i think more input or viewpoints would be useful, but as they have fallen back are unlikely to be added to.

So i guess my question is should or could that forum be broken into more topics/sub forums?

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Both your threads ended with you seemingly content with the answers you got. There it ends.

Nothing out of the ordinary, just normal forum traffic.

Good luck.

PH

susbees 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
35ish
PH, with all due respect that was a valid friendly post and the OP says "other threads"...not his own. You having a tough day?

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Hi Oakbear,I have thought about this a couple of times in the past.
My only reservation is that although posts seem to drop down fast we have lots of mature members who are not that net savvy.

My thinking is that to split the main forum into subforums will confuse many members regards what section to post in and may even deter them from joining in.

I do spend a lot of times behind the scenes getting/sending pm's to new members who ask how to post a message/change their profile add an avatar etc.

If enough members wish to split the main section I am more than happy to.
As it says on the tin,the members run the forum I run the server..

p.s regards PH,he can be a little Crabbit at times,it's the sun you see,he is not used to it what with being scottish and having moved south,some scots even think Newcastle is the equator and Hampshire is in France..

Mark
Admin.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
should or could that forum be broken into more topics/sub forums?

It may move a little faster at this time of the year with a huge influx of green beeks but it might be a tad slow moving at other times of the year. You just need to keep up. Both threads you started were completed(?) - there is only so much to say on a tiny topic. I think the forum is about right in it's present layout.

I have just missed a week (away to Scotland for a few days). So many threads come and gone that they are already archives as far as I am concerned, so am not particularly bothered.

If you want chit-chat go to the chat-room. If you want information simply ask and expect some replies and move on - some will be from newbies and some from experienced beeks. You will soon sort out the ones you want to follow. Just don't expect everyone to do the same thing in any particular scenario. But you will notice some right crossed-wires sometimes.

PH is direct and to the point. I prefer that to pussy-footing around when a simple solution is at hand. I think his reply about said it all. In fact I agree with him - on this occasion!

Regards, RAB

Onge 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH

Oakbear 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just to clarify i had no issue with my threads dropping back.
As mentioned they were concluded.
(I'm also very difficult to offend, so curt replies are fine!;))

I noticed a few others that i wondered about other perspectives on, but they got pushed back quickly.
I suppose part of that is my newness, so want to know everything!

I reckon it is a weighing up excercise about how best to organise things, and it was only a suggestion as i've been other places that can be better or organised, but also over divided and confusing.
I just wondered if others thought it too fast, or maybe someone had a bright idea on the structure.

If i could also add that i think this is a great forum, and it's nice to see so many willing to help.

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
I think the forum has enough sub topics as it is. You just need to read a bit quicker and log onto the forum everyday to keep up. The amount of new posts is just due to the time of year and aount of new beekeepers.

jimbeekeeper 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I noticed a few others that i wondered about other perspectives on, but they got pushed back quickly.
It takes two to Tango!

Often what I see is a question asked a few good replys given, but often with a question back to the orginal poster to clarify or respond and they never reply so thier post naturaly drops down at the pace the forum is currently running at.

But to just echo the above posts, no more sub sections, it just gets messy and it is just the time of the year..wait until thw winter and the number of posts plumets.

Hombre 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
I feel that more subsections would only complicate things further and so would not advocate for such a course of action.

I quite understand the problem that Oakbear perceives, as I find that reading everything to keep up takes a lot of time. PH is either speed reading, skipping a lot of material or got too much time on his hands :)

I must admit that the forum's success is putting a strain on my time to read it all and that's often a day or two behind at the moment as I'm a bit busy.

Heather 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Oakbear - if your item has floated down the page and you think you need further info- just 'bump' it back with another query on your subject. It will be answered if relevant or you will be told -no further info necessary.

Oh Hombre- dont do that:cuss:

Moonglow 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think the format as it is is fine ,if it aint broke don,t fix it
I have found out if you want to follow a particular thread ,or even save a thread all you have to do is subscribe to it which is in thread tools
Then if something particular that you want to follow or keep is readily available to you
It was a great help to me once I found out that you could do that

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Sorry to all who think I am "curt".

I try not to waste my time or others reading time. Being Scots too I suppose makes me more direct.

I have been I must admit a but flummoxed this least week to receive two pms accusing me of being unfriendly to newbies?

I was one once. I have a great deal of time for them as they are the future and day by day I am the past. I try my hardest to post on their behalf for a reason I may discuss one day.

I do though think and this WILL raise hackles that a bit more could be done to suggest to all that before asking their question they use the search function.

Play cups is a current topic that would benefit from being searched first. It would also benefit from a sticky with three pics, poss 5. An empty play cup, an open cell with day old grub, a near sealed cell and a fully sealed cell and one of one of the camouflaged ones sunk back to the midrib.

PH

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Genuine review on Eviivo.

""What a fantastic welcome and stay"
Friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable about the area. It was like staying with friends, you can not get the quality of service that you do here in corporate hotels. The breakfast is amazing and you will have to roll out of the breakfast room.
Two night stay in a double en-suite as a couple but it was so good, we will continue to stay whilst on business. Very Highly recommended and I look forward to my next visit.
Our hosts, were fantastic, friendly and couldnt do enough for us. The breakfast is amazing (huge) with honey from their own bees, spread on home made bread.
No (negatives)
Would recommend to a friend."

Three in a bed... must admit we have got some tips from there, ie full length mirrors going into every room. Also lots of non tips... as in do nots. As for going in for it, no ta. We ain't got the time. LOL

Oh yes and by the way the ETB standard seems to vary hugely. We were told we could not be 4* with non ensuite rooms yet a five gold star place had just that? Go figure.

Talking of the tourist board no one we have spoken to has looked on their site for information. So we are not members as we refuse to pay £500+ for nothing. They are these days effectively redundant they just aint realised it yet...LOL

Trip Advisor though is another matter indeed.

PH

Baggyone 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Every visit, I simply press "new posts". Never go through the back posts myself.

Latest posts