Magpies on my mating nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a firearms instructor for 15 years I hope you won't mind me saying that a .22 is a lethal weapon unless you are very sure that the background behind the target is bullet absorbent, free of creatures and hard surfaces
The AR-15 is a .223. That would certainly provide for the last 2 of those 3 criteria. :)

No it won't
I have that side mesh round my blueberries and I've watched the bees fly straight through without stopping....no problem.
The French "Muzzles" are 13mm
They are hardly going to be used if they actually impede the bees

Screenshot 2021-05-06 at 16.04.35.png

I have a couple of mini nucs going with a queen cell in. Today we've noticed magpies hanging around the entrances presumably picking off bees that are landing.

If I put a screen around them with 12mm green mesh will this stop bees and especially the queen's getting in and out?
No it won't . I use 12mm diameter holes as entrances in one of my hives.

I have that side mesh round my blueberries and I've watched the bees fly straight through without stopping....no problem.
The French "Muzzles" are 13mm
They are hardly going to be used if they actually impede the bees

View attachment 25854
Reading up on the French experience of 13 mm muzzles I seem to remember that bees had to slow down to negotiate 13 mm but 25mm they flew thought with no hesitation. However the hornets being bigger had to slow up to get through the 25mm.

Reading up on the French experience of 13 mm muzzles I seem to remember that bees had to slow down to negotiate 13 mm but 25mm they flew thought with no hesitation. However the hornets being bigger had to slow up to get through the 25mm.
But did the bees stop on the 13mm wire before flying into the entrance?

Well so far the goal netting has stopped them. However if they work out how to get through it I'll build some mesh screens.

Latest posts

Back