Magpies on my mating nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I have a couple of mini nucs going with a queen cell in. Today we've noticed magpies hanging around the entrances presumably picking off bees that are landing.

If I put a screen around them with 12mm green mesh will this stop bees and especially the queen's getting in and out?

I have used galvanised wire mesh to keep sparrows from doing the bee catching you observe. Did not phase bees at all. But the sparrows were most unhappy.

I find the only thing that fixes a magpie issue is lead, just get it the first time and get them both . they are are cleaver things so you wont get Meany chances

My 22 sorts them out in the garden buggers scare everything else away from the bird tables.

This sat in a willow half way down the garden.
A couple of magpies bombed and shrieked at it for fifteen minutes before they gave up.
It perched quietly just blinking slowly the way they do then flew off to roost View attachment 25839
I saw one being mobbed by jays today. The first time I've ever seen it.

I have a couple of mini nucs going with a queen cell in. Today we've noticed magpies hanging around the entrances presumably picking off bees that are landing.

If I put a screen around them with 12mm green mesh will this stop bees and especially the queen's getting in and out?
Putting 12mm mesh screen around the hive may not prevent the bees from passing through, BUT they will probably find it to be a hindrance for them. Some time ago I had a chicken wire mesh fence near to a hive, and bees which approached the hive from the other side of that fence did not fly directly through that mesh, but hesitated while they "decided what to do". After flying back and forth for a few seconds, many of them actually landed on the wire mesh before walking through and continuing their flight to the hive.
If you believe that using some kind of mesh is necessary, then I would suggest that you use mesh which is of a size sufficient to deter the birds, but which provides the least possible hindrance to the bees. If the bees are hindered by the mesh, then you may actually be making it easier for the birds to pick off the bees.

Some conflicting answers here, surprising from a question asked of a group of Beekeepers 😉😆

Well the birds are back again this morning so I have to do something before the virgins hatches otherwise they'll be picked off on their mating flights.

pig netting 4" holes yes a bird can get through it but they have t calmly step through it, they can't just take off they dont like that, more than bg enough for bees just to fly though

Some conflicting answers here, surprising from a question asked of a group of Beekeepers 😉😆

Well the birds are back again this morning so I have to do something before the virgins hatches otherwise they'll be picked off on their mating flights.
You could try playing loudly a recording of their alarm/distress call or maybe stand a dummy predator nearby.

I place my mating nucs on poles with a wooden plank on the top to keep the rain/hail /snow off.
It is strapped down but less secure than the floor so not ideal for birds to stand on. The actual platform is sized just to accommodate mating nucs so unsuitable for gripping by a magpie.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 16

Alternatively try to borrow a larsen trap from a friendly farmer or gamekeeper. Often works - you just have to dispose of the trapped bird.

My 22 sorts them out in the garden buggers scare everything else away from the bird tables.
As a firearms instructor for 15 years I hope you won't mind me saying that a .22 is a lethal weapon unless you are very sure that the background behind the target is bullet absorbent, free of creatures and hard surfaces

Latest posts

Back