magpie callers??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save yourself a load of money......put an egg on a fence post, hide and wait. If you've got a magpie problem they'll be on it within 15 mins. Same goes for crows.
The tricky part is shooting them;)

Not sure if we are not getting a bit paranoid here because if the powers that be wanted to they could prosecute hundreds out shooters in July and August when they go out shooting on rape, wheat and barley stubbles, they are not protecting crops then!!

It's still protecting crops though (just keeping the population in check for the next crop) if you've ever read Archie Coats, in his day as a pigeon controller the government supplied shotgun cartridges and even paid people to destroy pigeon nests to keep the population down

It's still protecting crops though (just keeping the population in check for the next crop) if you've ever read Archie Coats, in his day as a pigeon controller the government supplied shotgun cartridges and even paid people to destroy pigeon nests to keep the population down

News yesterday a hunt (with dogs), chased a fox into a private garden ,cornered fox under some bushes hunt master followed and clubbed the fox to death! police for called ,they came and announced "No crime had been committed"
RSPCA are to investigate !
VM

@Storm, it almost sounds like you have Tarka the otter in your garden pond :)

Storm - the open general licence is just that - as long as you are doing the culling for the reasons listed there's no problem, there are people with Larsen traps in their garden ... a case that has been tested in a court of law.
Yes, we did that a few years ago. A local gamekeeper provided, and maintained, a larsen trap in our garden. We made sure the decoy bird was fed and watered.

You can also bait them with a picture of a magpie.

I am still leaning towards it being possibly mink.
:iagree:
Some people mistake mink for water voles, it's easily done if you haven't seen both.

We only use bitches!!!!!!!!

I'll get me coat - and no, I don't wear a red one

They only use dogs around here to retrieve poultry stored in fox holes !
13 retrieved at last visit .
Can't think why . Surely removes the threat of raids for a little while?
VM

i was going to look for suitable pictures of jenny hanley or susan stranks to post here but at work so best not.

i'll get my coat anyway!.

Yes I do know of Archie Coates and have met him a couple of times and I have also read his book.

I am a life long shooter and country lad at heart, I can remember when they paid 6d per squirrel tail and we used No9 shot to shot sparrows on the laid wheat.

Latest posts

Back