Magnifying equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi -
I'm having difficulties inspecting the brood frames properly. I'm new and inexperienced in beekeeping anyway which probably doesn't help, but my eyes don't seem to be up to seeing eggs and young brood unless the lighting is perfect - the netting on the face of the bee suit seems to really cut down my vision.

I watched one of hedgerow pete's videos and saw his magnifying glass on an extendable arm, which looks ideal, but so far I haven't had any luck tracking something similar down. Is there a good source for such a thing that someone could point me to please?

Try and stand with the light behind your back and tilt the comb to allow the light to get to the bottom of the cell. Takes a bit of practice...

PH

I've just been out today with an experienced beekeeper today and he showed me exactly how and where to stand and, happily I saw lots of eggs. So it's not entirely my eyesight. :)

My two hives only have direct sunlight until about midday, which is before I usually open them up, so I guess this is why I've been finding it so hard. I might still go for the mounted magnifyer though - I probably need all the help I can get...

Thanks again for the advice PH!

That sounds good wilderness, thanks for the suggestion!

Thinking about it, a head lamp like that with a bee suit on at night would be a great way to wander about. Could I cause panic or what? :willy_nilly:

Maplin do a combined light and magnifier, which you wear on your head. Not used it for the bees, but it is great for doing fiddly things in poor light.

Latest posts

Back