maggots

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuts

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
i dont keep bees but go fishing a bee keeper has offered me some maggots
but after speaking to another keeper who keeps bees they dont know what i am on about can i get maggots from a bee hive???

Not really. Larvae look a bit like maggots, but they don't wriggle, so would be useless for fishing. Also they would die very quickly if removed from the comb, which would be a heck of an undertaking. Much better to get some flies!

Hi

Chub love wasp larvae/pupae and whilst they may not wiggle drone grubs/pupae work along the same lines. koi also love them but they have to be quite well advanced to mount on a hook.

Regards Ian

When I used to go coarse fishing the killer bait was allegedly wasp grub, but I never succeeded in getting any. I'm guessing you are being offered drone brood. I've heard of it being fed to fish in a garden pond so it sounds like a good bait to me.
The other possibility is wax moth larvae. Again probably a good bait.

I gave my brother some drone comb. he used the larvae and mashed the honey and wax into his groundbait

lmao, forget bees larvae for this, they dont move like maggots either - its wasp grubs you want! like gold dust for fishing.

wasp grub have been used decades as a bait if not hundreds of years, when i was a kid its all ppl talked about.

How on earth would you gather wasp larvae?!! The only way I'd approach a wasp's nest is if they were all dead.....

How on earth would you gather wasp larvae?!! The only way I'd approach a wasp's nest is if they were all dead.....

I did this as a kid as well. We used to dig them out of te ground with spades and get stung a lot.
We didnt know about anaphylactic shock.

Maybe is something to do with Wasps being fed protein?.

Use bbq'd wasp larvae instead, the brief petrol fire also allows you to safely approach the nest afterwards. QED.
:reddevil:

Drone larvae is very soft skinned, I've tried blanching them in boiling water for varying lengths of time , then freezing but they always turn to mush on thawing !.
I now use them fresh by using an uncapping fork and sticking on a hair rig with a wee drop of super glue .

As for not moving , one well known bait is in fact 'dead maggot'.

John Wilkinson

dead maggots as bait? behave :)

Many moons ago they used "Cymag" a powder that gave off cyanide gas when it came into contact with moisture - nasty stuff. A desert spoon tied to a long cane deposited some at the nest entrance, 24 hours later all dead and a nest full of fantastic trout bait.:hurray:

Back