Made brood frames with super top bars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteeveeTee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Made a lot of them too.

Please tell me that it won't make any difference to the brood, I can see that the super frames I made with the brood top bars will be more difficult to decap.

could be - but it doesn't really matter though - Manleys have DN5 top bars Apart from mine as I inadvertently used them for something else - oh! I remember - I put them on ordinary SN1 frames: didn't make a difference come extracting time though.

Don't worry. Some top bars are wider than others it's just that no one has explained that to you, but you can use any size on either brood or super. It honestly makes no difference at all. I know what you mean about the decapping, with the wide top bar it is not quite that easy but still perfectly do-able. Some of us have been there in a past life and know what you are talking about and some haven't! Just keep smiling and don't re do them!!!
E

Thanks....I'll leave them, I had SN1s and something with the same size lugs but wider middles, correctly bought DN1s once, have no idea what I did this time, and the frames were 14x12s, which is nothing compared to the stuff I dare not admit to cocking up.....

Don't worry. Some top bars are wider than others it's just that no one has explained that to you, but you can use any size on either brood or super. It honestly makes no difference at all. I know what you mean about the decapping, with the wide top bar it is not quite that easy but still perfectly do-able. Some of us have been there in a past life and know what you are talking about and some haven't! Just keep smiling and don't re do them!!!
E

:iagree: Dont worry about it I have donr the same and still have them in the hive. Just annoys me, messes with my OCD.

If you bought the starter hive from Thorne, I can tell you I made the same "mistake". They have SN1 and DN5 or the other way around. So the one has thin top bars and the other wide. only after assembling all the Brood frames, you notice you are left with thin and wide top bars for your supers... I can not say I see a difference in the supers with mixed top bars and my brood (14x12) is doing great although on the "wrong" top bars.

... and something with the same size lugs...

I thought the lugs were all the same size on all British Standard Nationals. Am I wrong? Shirley it is part of the reason for them being termed 'standard'?

The differences were denoted by S, D and ED, but basically all the frames will fit in any of the boxes, apart from if the box depth is insufficient (when an eke may be needed to sort things out)?

The N numbers were introduced as new frame types became popular?

Well. That is what I thought. A workable system.

Latest posts

Back