Mad Pricing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was in Sainsbury's yesterday. They are selling 300mg jars of honey for 68 pence. Bonkers

of course.

there was a letter in one of the gardening mags last year where the writer was buying dirt cheap lidl/aldi jam (around 28p a jar i think), binning the contents and using for her own jam.

the clue on the quality is on the label.... produce of EU AND non EU country's..

I was interested in 'clover honey' being a solid honey. NZ Clover is my main forage and is extremely runny.

I would be interested to know of AFB and EFB occurs more in Urban areas or near rubbish tips with a higher likelyhood of discarded honey jars...

Is the honey any good. How do I tell my customers that mine is worth £4lb?
How and who works the bee's for 68p?

Pete

How do I tell my customers that mine is worth £4lb?
Those that appreciate quality local honey will readily accept £4/lb, those that don't will still end up going to the supermarket no matter what you tell them. Just stick to your guns and don't reduce the price - it's worth every penny.

Is the honey any good. How do I tell my customers that mine is worth £4lb?
How and who works the bee's for 68p?

Pete

Give them a taste they'll be wondering why you sell yours cheap Free samples often lead to sales. Or get a few jars and do a taste comparison

I speak from experience when I say the supermarkets have a ridiculous hold over their suppliers. When they reduce the price of a product, its not absorbed by the supermarkets, it's passed over to the supplier. The very low price probably doesn't reflect the quality.

:blush5:Confession: the cheapest jars available at the moment appear to be either Tesco or Sainsburys' lemon curd at 23p a jar. Nice jars... perfect for jam or (with new lids) honey. So I bought ten, and used some of the lemon curd to make ice cream, and ditched the rest. (It's just about edible, but basically cornflour, sugar and some citric acid). Felt bad about throwing food out, but I'm out of used jamjars and they're getting pricey to buy new. Even a large batch of honey jars doesn't get you four jars & lids for a quid.

I just couldn't do that with honey, though. I too noticed the cheap honey and it made me shiver; I'd be very interested to know exactly where it's from and what it :)(and the bees, and their keepers) have been through to get it there.

: Even a large batch of honey jars doesn't get you four jars & lids for a quid.

QUOTE]

1/2lb honey jars + lids for 23p
300ml + lids for 26p
12oz hexagonal + lid for 30p

all new, bought in small batches, and without the need of supporting inferior products from Supermarkets.

Just down the road from you in Bristol.

:blush5:Confession: ... So I bought ten, and used some of the lemon curd to make ice cream, and ditched the rest.

AAAARGH! I thought we were supposed to be reducing food miles! However inedible the lemon curd was, it still has a carbon footprint. Let me guess... you buy your shirts from Matalan and throw them away when they're dirty?

Could you not post on gumtree/freecycle/freegle asking for empty jars?

:rant:

Don't worry, it's not my normal policy; I had been given a lot of fruit to jam at short notice, and didn't have suitable freezer space.

I don't normally buy jars at all, only new lids. Usually I can find empty jars by having a word with neighbours, esp. when the fortnightly recycling crates are being put out. I think everyone had the same idea on this occasion.

Even so, having attempted to look for jars to purchase, I was taken aback at how much they cost. Sorry it's a bit off-topic, but Pete, where do you get jars from?

Remember the big supermarkets will always have some "loss leaders" on their shelves. They are interested in your whole shopping basket. If the honey is sold at this low price then there will be other items well overpriced to compensate. LLs are to entice you in and for advertising purposes. X has more items cheaper than Y type claim.

Last edited:
Less the cost of jar, lid and label, leaves ~25p for all your hard work.

Oi, you forgot hive boxes, any treatments, smoker, PSE if any, fuel...and it's usually bulked here and jarred at one of those nice processing plants at W*ll***ford and other places.

Latest posts

Back