Macro Flash Gun

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosti

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have the urge to purchase!
Must be compat with Canon kit. Most likely pairing is with my 100mm 1.2 USM portrait/macro lens and a 7d body
Difference in performance between ring and twin side pad units (other than cost)? Anybody use a macro flash routinely? Advice on models, performance, value for money, set-up?
Any insights much appreciated. R

:grouphug:

there was a guy that used to post on the BBKA forum going by the name of makro junkie, he used cannon kit with superb results, he 'only'* had a 400D body but with a superb lense and flash setup.

he listed a number of times the kit that he used, it might be worth looking it up :)

*'only' being used because it is a relatively cheap body with a crop sensor unlike Rosti's positively posh 7D :biggrinjester:

With that equipment I'd stick with the Canon ring flash (assume they do one). Everything's compatible then. You may need a diffuser as well.

Good article in Amateur Photographer this week on "focus stacking" of macro images. (17th April edition)

Tx all, I'll check out the leads. Canon do a classic ring flash and a twin pad (more expensive by a long way though)

I have had a quick play with a ring flash- the results seemed a bit clinical. It is worth trying one if you can before you buy- and thinking what results you want- do you want something that records soecimens, like in a textbook, or do you want something with a more artistic element.

To be fair, if you took your kit to a shop, and asked to shoot a few frames with the flash of something similar in size to what you want to photograph, most places would oblige.

Calumet photography if you have one near you will hire you a flash ring then if you decide to buy the hire cost is knocked off the purchase costs...
they are a pro camera shop and will give tons of advise. recently fixed my D300 for free!

Latest posts

Back