Machineway corrosion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roche

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Every autumn, I think I really ought to do something about this...

I have some machine tools in a stand-alone un-heated, drafty garage. As the temperature drops, they start to get condensation. Not really a problem on painted surfaces, although not desirable. The real problem is on the ways where I absolutely don't want it. I have tried using hydraulic oil on them, but it isn't entirely successful. I understand the condensation cycle, and could cover and heat them, but the energy use goes against the grain. How can I prevent it? All solutions gratefully accepted!

Thanks in Advance, Roche

Insulated garage?

have you tried beeswax if its chisels and saws etc. dip in wax clean before waxing this is what I do the saw blades I don't remove wax helps with cutting.

I have some machine tools in a stand-alone un-heated, drafty garage. As the temperature drops, they start to get condensation. Not really a problem on painted surfaces, although not desirable. The real problem is on the ways where I absolutely don't want it. I have tried using hydraulic oil on them, but it isn't entirely successful. I understand the condensation cycle, and could cover and heat them, but the energy use goes against the grain. How can I prevent it? All solutions gratefully accepted!

Thanks in Advance, Roche

If you are looking at tools that are used working with wood, then you need to avoid anything silicone based. I use this stuff:https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-machine-wax-ax957553

WD40 it's a water dispersant and exactly the application it was invented for

Hi Roche,

WD40 is not the answer. It will not prevent the condensation. Some sensible options, for small tools, above. Large machines with ways can be greased and covered with an impervious, to water, material.

Better to enclose and keep warm. A low wattage heater (vivarium heat mat?) may suffice for individual machines.

My workshop is fully sealed to fresh air when closed up (draught-proof except perhaps for a tiny amount at floor level), the concrete floor has a damp-proof membrane and the walls, ceiling and door are fully insulated - ceiling and walls with 100mm polyurethane foam insulation boards. The door is insulated to a lesser amount (the most I will achieve, I think, will be 75mm).

Floor area is approx 12 square metres and is currently warmed with 750Wh per day, between 02:00h and 0:400h each day by timer - which it does not need at this time of the year. That heat is provided by a desiccant dehumidifier (so warms and dries the air) and running costs are about 7p/day at present. I doubt I will need much more energy in the middle of winter, although the shop temperature will drop to single figures Celsius.

Recent internal temperatures have not dropped below 14 C and humidity is around 65% at most times in the day (not checked in the middle of the night).

I doubt my energy costs will rise above 75p per week, even later in the year (it would when I want to use the machines, mind). I don’t expect to need to spend more than about £20 on leccy to keep my machines and tools dry, rust free and ready for use (no grease to clean off, but may be a little cold!) and consider that a small price to pay to keep my machines in good condition. I only lightly oil the tables and ways, etc, as one would for normal use.

This also keeps all chucks, cutters, tool holders, hand tools, etc in good condition without any further special actions. Cheap, considering what they all cost.

Hope that helps.

RAB

Just to be clear I wasn't suggesting that WD40 would solve your condensation problem, it's good but its not that good ;-)

What it will do and will do well is prevent corrosion of your tools. A goodly spray of WD40, other maintenance sprays are available, and a wipe down with an oily rag and the jobs a gooden. Our current plan of action and weapon of choice in the prevention of corrosion to our tools is an annual inspection and application of TRIPLE QX Maintenance Spray where needed. It does what it says on the can.

A 600 ml can can be had at Euro Car Parts for less than a blue beer voucher (£5). Buy it on line at their regular mid month or end of month sales to qualify for up to a 50%+ discount and its even cheaper. Look out for the red discount banner at the top of their inter webby page. Click and collect in a store near you.

link https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/...eases/penetrating-fluids/?542770980&0&cc5_857

It's not the answer to your condensation problem but I use an aerosol spray called ACF50 on my motorcycle for winter riding. I use it on tools like callipers, dividers, etc. but I find that the ways of my lathe are fine with hydraulic oil.

The ACF50 is amazing for any kind of corrosion block on metals. It's an aerospace product but most motorcycle shops sell it now. About £15 but a little goes a long, long way.

Supertrol rust prevention fluid is what I use. Soft waxy deposit sprayed on surfaces. Cleans off with rag/paper towel..

https://tinyurl.com/yad3qgk3

The main ingredient of most of these spray on water dispersant, penetrating, anti corrosion or maintenance spray products is paraffin which puts my price cap for such products at <£1 per 100 ml and some of the lesser advertised, lesser hyped brands can be had for 50p per 100ml.

If you're paying more than that you're paying over the odds for the hype, advertising, promotions and sponsorship.

Diluted waxoyl has been slated as a good rust preventative. Easy to spray on machines, not so easy to remove. White spirit will dissolve it, apparently. Especially with application of some amount of elbow grease.

Thanks in Advance, Roche
seal the garage. fit a single glazed window with a drain to the inside part of the window sill. Have the window on the sunny side if possible.
The window will admit insolation during the day to warm it up and will condense the water vapour at night.

Latest posts

Back