Macbook air question.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mac has it's own anti virus no need paying for Norton / MC fee Down load avast for windows, brill bit of software and it's free

Thanks Itma and Luminos
I'm running OSX 10.8 and have installed all the security updates on time so hopefully I'm OK
I've disabled JAVA and will sort out hubby's computer next and maybe take a look at the software mentioned

Removing Java may reduce the risk a little, but so does removing all source of power to the machine.

A half decent router with a firewall and good browsing habits should keep you out of trouble.

How does your machine fare on the Gibson Research "Shields Up" tests?
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Hopefully all your ports should be stealthed and so not visible to to the Internet for casual port scanning.

It seems that virus activity is likely to be less of a problem to Apple Corp than the decisions of their board of directors, as the iPhone releases become more frequent and the shine begins to fade. When you get to the top, the only way seems to be down . . .

The newly released Samsung Galaxy S4 can apparently be controlled by the eyes . . . sounds like a bit of an early April fools gag, but I guess that they saw that one coming. Not a lot of use with your veil on then . . .

= = =
Flashback, the door was of course opened by the decision by Apple to do away with Adobe Flash upon their platforms, culminating in that famous spat a while back between senior execs of Apple and Adobe. Not that Adobe helped to make Apple the graphics platform that it is/was today.

Now that they have got rid of Google Maps and replaced it with their own offering . . . Oh, did that tank too then? Why did they think that they could do overnight what it took Google eight years to get to the state that it is in today. So people looking to get Google Maps back onto their machines will be a group ripe for exploitation before very long, unless it's been happening already.

Arguably it is Apple that is digging these holes and others are all too willing to recognise them and drop a few spikes or a bear trap into the bottom of them for the unwise and unwary.

Last edited:
Funnily enough it's flash (and java) exploits on the mac that's the main gateway to getting malware onto the thing in the first place.

The 'flash fake' botnet is a case in point.

I don't have virus software installed but I do have flash disabled by default in all my web browsers not just because its insecure but because its generally horrible software that can't die soon enough and encourages people to design horrible websites IMHO.

It's malware rather than traditional viruses that you need to be careful of on a mac and if norton's mac software is anything like their windows stuff it comes pretty close to being malware in my opinion given the amount of bothering the user and massive performance hit it inflicts.

Keeping your mac up to date might be good enough, but apple and adobe have been notoriously slow in the past patching security holes.

Latest posts

Back