Macabre pollen source?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate's Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last week we had a couple of very mild days while I was off so I had the chance to watch the bees for a while. Was not surprised to see them flying given the temp but was surprised to see them bringing back pollen. At least 2 different types - bright yellow and dark orange.

I haven't seen anything round me but of course am in a city so there are also lots of parks and gardens but we are about 200yds from a massive cemetery which is always filled with flowers, mainly cut.

Can/do bees forage from cut flowers?

It is surprising how many new developments have that bright yellow Mahonia growing around them. And for that second one, it might not be too early for the first willows in built up areas.

One of members as a few colonies in secluded corner of our local crematorium, so assume the bees would take advantage of any forage available.

My bees have been bringing in pollen of the same colour and I can't work out where it is coming from either. Certainly no cemetaries around here.

Back