Lucky Day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I've just been given six 5 frame National Nucs and although they do not have any tin sheet roofs and a few little bits are missing they are originally from P**nes and are unused.

How good was that! :serenade:

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on if they are big enough to put out as bait hives with a few frames of foundation, lemon grass etc

Have you had swarms move into Nucs before or am I wasting my time?

Some people have had swarms move into nuc's if the floors are removable you could try stacking a couple together.

Just to add are they cedar?

Hi Beauhawk

Sounds great. If not new they first need cleaning. Soda and scorching with blowtorch.

If they are stackable - ie put 2 together to make a 10 frame box, this potentially catches bigger swarms, but 5 frame nucs potentially will also catch swarms, but probably casts.

nuc boxes are great until the residents expand - which a swarm wiil do quickly, then you need a brood box to give them room.

I found with bait hives a bit of smell from drawn comb helps attract bees (and wasps/moths), i've tried lemongrass, not sure if it works.

Main thing with bait hives is height, on flat roof? part way up a tree, on top of a stack of spare supers 4ft? up. Bees would not choose a ground level home, remember it's us beekeepers its convenient for.

I

This idea of stacking one on top of the other seems a good idea - just a sturdy strap would be good to hold it together as the floors are all detachable I guess...

A bit of old comb is the best way to attract a swarm. And it could just be some clumps placed inside on the floor - it doesn't need to be a whole frame of the stuff. Do the magic chant, naked, on a full moon, over each one of them and they will work a treat. Oh, and stick in the full complement of frames/foundation because they will in preference build wild comb on the roof. Don't say you weren't told!

But you know if you really wanted a swarm it would be a whole lot easier to contact Environmental Health at your Local Council and have them put your name down on their list.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back