Low varroa drop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manek

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With one hive dropping zero varroa in a week and the other just three over the same period, I'm wondering whether to treat at all. I normally sublimate OA so I don't have to decide right now but it's where I am going at the moment.

What testing method did you use? I wouldn't rely on the inspection board alone as you could have things like eariwigs or ants eating the varrora.

With one hive dropping zero varroa in a week and the other just three over the same period, I'm wondering whether to treat at all. I normally sublimate OA so I don't have to decide right now but it's where I am going at the moment.

My advice would be to sublimate as soon as you can and measure the 24 hour drop which will represent roughly 20% of your colony total
You might get a surprise
Natural drop is notoriously inaccurate especially over one week.

Treat you have nothing to lose any any reduction in varroa numbers protecting winter bees is a good thing. A vape may also give a true indication on numbers

Last edited:
Treat you have nothing to lose any any reduction in varroa numbers protecting winter bees is a good thing. A vape may also give a true indication on not mbers

And everything to lose if you have underestimated their numbers.
15 minutes of your time and a 24 hour wait to see what the real state of play is...

:sifone:Lol having read my post I realised I should have checked it before leaving the pub

Do the bees show any sign of varroa infestation? Deformed wings?

If not, combined with the low varroa count, strong evidence that you have a colony that can handle the mites without help. In particular you say it was a swarm a few years ago, In my experience, commercial bees don't have varroa resistance traits but swarms do - even ones from commercial hives, because they quickly supersede and cross with local bees which do.

Or, yeah, you could chuck in some acid, burn the wind-sensing hairs off their eyes, have an angry hive for a week or so. It probably isn't needed, but a bit of casual cruelty never hurt anyone, right?

Or, yeah, you could chuck in some acid, burn the wind-sensing hairs off their eyes, have an angry hive for a week or so. It probably isn't needed, but a bit of casual cruelty never hurt anyone, right?

I have never witnessed this in the bees I have treated
How do you know maneks bees have low levels of varroa
He doesn’t even know himself
An accelerated drop will tell him

In my experience, commercial bees don't have varroa resistance traits but swarms do - even ones from commercial hives, because they quickly supersede and cross with local bees which do.

Not often nowadays you get helpings of tripe as big as that.

Last edited:

If not, combined with the low varroa count, strong evidence that you have a colony that can handle the mites without help. In particular you say it was a swarm a few years ago, In my experience, commercial bees don't have varroa resistance traits but swarms do - even ones from commercial hives, because they quickly supersede and cross with local bees which do.

That’s right leave the fat sucking virus passing parasites in the hive:beatdeadhorse5:

I put a post up a while back about the lack of varroa in my colonies after the first vape..i have no deformed wing virus and the bees are healthy..
After the second vape was a different story..four hives still dropped very few mites but the other four where dropping them in the + 300's and that went on for quite a while..after five vapes and amitraz strips the colonies are at a level that i like..if i had not treated for varroa through the lack of mites from the first vape i dare say i would have lost several colonies over winter..
For the little time and effort required when treating for for varroa is a no brainer really..

I rarely read such illinformed advice including comments about cruelty so thanks..Not.

I put a post up a while back about the lack of varroa in my colonies after the first vape..i have no deformed wing virus and the bees are healthy..
After the second vape was a different story..four hives still dropped very few mites but the other four where dropping them in the + 300's and that went on for quite a while..after five vapes and amitraz strips the colonies are at a level that i like..if i had not treated for varroa through the lack of mites from the first vape i dare say i would have lost several colonies over winter..
For the little time and effort required when treating for for varroa is a no brainer really..

Exactly
The OP must do a proper varroa estimation and not rely on what he sees on the bees or a short natural drop
At this time of year a vape is ideal
If he wants to open up the hive then he should do an alcohol wash

Latest posts

Back