Lost queen ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbees2

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have a very busy hive but can't find a Queen, I very often can't spot her in such a busy hive even though she was marked earlier this year. There is a lot of sealed brood and a great deal of pollen but not much in the way of larvae. Some of the larvae looks about 7 days old. (?) Feel she may of gone but looking for a glimmer of hope. Thanks

Have a very busy hive but can't find a Queen, I very often can't spot her in such a busy hive even though she was marked earlier this year. There is a lot of sealed brood and a great deal of pollen but not much in the way of larvae. Some of the larvae looks about 7 days old. (?) Feel she may of gone but looking for a glimmer of hope. Thanks

If you have no young larvae, nor eggs, and they're back-filling the broodnest with stores, she's probably gone.

Any sign of queencells in any stage ?

A test frame from your other colony may be helpful.

But I am going to be devil's advocate, queens do go off lay sometimes for a couple of weeks, the question is whether you want to take that risk. I would certainly be adding a test frame which in itself isn't a final decision maker but may point you in the right direction.
E

are you able to move the brood box to the side and place a spare brood box in its place, wait 10 mins and then go looking for your queen, sometimes with less bees you will spot her,

Pains me to say it, but he's right :D - egg hatches day three then five days later (day eight) larvae capped

There is a lot of sealed brood and a great deal of pollen but not much in the way of larvae. Some of the larvae looks about 7 days old.
I wonder is the OP referring to seven-day-old worker larvae, rather than charged queen cells ?

Latest posts

Back