Lost our bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Sorry I haven't been in touch for a while. Laptop went down so I got rid of our internet access for a while but now I'm back.
We lost the school bees over winter. Very upsetting. I took down the old rubbish hive and stuck Hivemakers hive in it's place with some frames in while we decided what to do, when a cheeky passing swarm made itself at home in the new pad, so we still have bees :)
We think they came from the church tower nearby, a swarm left there a few weeks back and no one has heard of any other swarms in the area so we assume it's them. Just thought I'd let you all know what's been happening while I've been incommunicado ;)

They've been there a few weeks, and so far I've left them alone (well, just a quick peep ;) ) until I could get back online and get some advice from you lot on what to do with them. Should I give them a good bath in something, or leave it until autumn. I'm not really expecting much from them just yet, I'm just glad to be a beek again :)

i would wait till you have had a good look through them the q may have been a vg how did you know about the ones in the church was it common knowledge

Yes, I'm told they've been up there for years, and all the locals know about them swarming every year. I was told about the swarm and went down to have a look but I assumed they'd disappeared into the park next to the church. Didn't think they'd collect themselves for me and make themselves at home. There is a lot of activity at the hive though, and I've been wary as I don't know the colony, but managed to get myself in the path of a few and they haven't bothered me so fingers crossed they are placid and there is a queen laying. If not I can get some queen cells from a guy I know and I'll have a pop at grafting them onto a frame. Should be ok, seeing as I'm the queen of requeening lol

by my way of thinking you either have prime swarm which would have a mated Queen or a cast which would have a virgin Queen.no need to be grafting in Queen cells. give them some tine to settle in then see whats happening.

Hi Kaz, welcome back to the land of the living (I think!), good to see you again. That was clever, baiting a swarm, never mind where it came from not worthy
Best of luck, I hope thay behave themselves for you. They couldn't have a better home!

Thanks everyone. I'm always made to feel really welcome on here, not matter how long I've been gone :)
So a quick nosey, see if she's laying, if not don't panic, leave them alone for a bit. Got it.

You know, I think I'm just a very very lucky beginner lol. We were worried about how we'd get another colony. Thought it was going to be me, a box and a swarm lol. They've just moved on in! That AS colony that got taken back to our old mentors gaff is long gone. No way we're getting that back, so see? Just really lucky :)

kazmcc

Don't disappear...there are people here who don't have bees and give less back than you!

Should you ever need bees - if someone can collect them - they are yours. I have 2 lots for sale now (but free to you) and more to come. If you EVER want bees just say - I'd even go on holiday to Manchester to bring them! :)

Welcome back - I identify with you as we seemed to start at a similar time and because you are working with a school. You've been through a lot more than I, though. Must have been dreadful to lose your colony - and then the joy of the swarm arriving - the downs and ups of beekeeping in a short space of time.
Glad you are back online.
Tricia

I took down the old rubbish hive and stuck Hivemakers hive in it's place with some frames in while we decided what to do, when a cheeky passing swarm made itself at home in the new pad, so we still have bees :)

not worthy

Hi Kazmcc
Glad you're back. I was thinking about you last week and then, hey presto here you are. Most satisfactory.:hurray:
Cazza

Thank you so much! You are all so kind :) It was awful when I kept checking and nothing was emerging, and then finding the big heap of dead bees :( I had been going on to my new man about them all winter, only to find we had none. So I can't wait to get stuck in and introduce him to beekeeping :)

Now for the questions ;) I still have drawn frames from the honey harvest last year. Can I still keep them for future use? Or should I get rid? Also, is there any alternative to cleaning the old equipment than scorching? I have tried to get access to a blow torch or something but with no success. Can I just wash them in strong bleach?

Again, thank you all for your continued support. You have all been amazing! I've learned so much from you all and your support has given me the confidence to keep beekeeping, even when things get sticky. The great thing is we have been researching the history of our area, and the church in particular. We have a fondness for it now and it has repaid us by sending it's bees :)

Hiya Kaz, welcome back to the nuthouse.
r.e blow-torch. readily available at most (if not all) of the major DIY stores, just ask for a cheap soldering blow-torch ;)

Latest posts

Back