Lost my first ever colony today.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad scene Curly, sorry to see it.
Don‘t beat yourself up mate and top marks for sharing your loss.

Sorry to see that Curley. I have a light one with fondant that I will be looking at. Maybe I have to do a Finman and put some syrup in some drawn comb!

[/QUOTE[/QUOTE]
Sorry to see that Curley. I have a light one with fondant that I will be looking at. Maybe I have to do a Finman and put some syrup in some drawn comb!

IMG_20210217_171428.jpgIMG_20210217_170942.jpg
Here's some more photos, classic photos of starvation.

I couldn't see any varroa issues

I was told once that bees die in 72 hours without food....

View attachment 24442View attachment 24443
Here's some more photos, classic photos of starvation.

I couldn't see any varroa issues
[/QUOTE]
No guanine deposits (constituent of varroa poo), white speaks on the top side of the cell walls? Were they totally out of carbs or was it isolation starvation? They have some pollen on that frame. It looks like the dead bees have been on the floor for some time. How long was your cold snap? I have been taught that you cannot judge the size of the colony at the hive entrance. Looks like it was a good sized colony.

I was told once that bees die in 72 hours without food....
I better check the fondant through the crown board tmorrow. Inspect Sat or Sunday if warm enough. They keep saying 17°C - we will see.

Really sorry to hear that Curly. You've got me champing at the bit even more for the forecast 15C and sunshine down here on Saturday. I really want to crack them open and have a good check of stores.

15C and sunshine down here on Saturday. I really want to crack them open
A surefire way of buggering up the colony - it's still the middle of winter, leave them alone for another month for goodness sake.

A surefire way of buggering up the colony - it's still the middle of winter, leave them alone for another month for goodness sake.
I'm not talking about a full on inspection, but just lifting the crown board and laying on some fondant if necessary. Surely that's a 'surefire' way of avoiding starvation on a hive that I think are getting a little too light, when leaving them for a month would be way too late.

Latest posts

Back