Lost A Nuc Photos.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobsBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Apiaries. 17 Hives. 0 Nuc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25834734@N02/sets/72157623388025852/

I am not sure how you can upload Pics like this onto the Forum, other than with the use of Flickr.
I wanted you all to see my comments on each of the Slides/Pics, so that you could also give me some feed back on what you think happened inside this Nuc.
Perhaps some kind beek could give me some tutoring?
Bob.

Last edited:
My first thoughts were ther following:

1/ the number of dead bees in total is very small, so this makes me think that there were not enough bees to maintain temperature.

2/ As they could not maintain temperature, they got chilled and could not move to where the food was.

Just my thoughts.

My first thought is also to cold to move to were the food is around them.
I have lost colonies like this before but never had them chewing the wax away as well.

Bob, far too few bees to winter through. Sorry.

The Kent BKAssoc is a good place to start enquiries for help. http://www.kentbee.com/
You need a mentor for a year to guide you through all the stages of bee care. But we have all made these sort of errors, so don't despair, of feel guilty. Every good luck for this coming year :cheers2:

First of all the syrup did not melt the wax. Not unless it was still very hot when you fed them? Syrup should be cool for feeding.

2nd. The colony was far too small. I really think it never had a chance.

3d. I suspect you have had a mouse visit from the comb damage. any droppings in the litter on the floor?

4th. A single wall nuc box housing a small colony is highly vulnerable.

There is an old adage, take your winter losses in autumn, in other words be ruthless and unite the weak ones to stronger ones to give them the best chance.

This late summer nucs you are considering for over winter should be right across the box, covering all the frames, and you should be worrying that you might have to put them into a brood box. That is wintering strength for a nuc.

Oh the side of the frame that was untouched had been varnished over by the bees. Hence the gloss on it.

PH

Too much food was uncapped. It ferments and kill what ever bees. They go out and die. Bees are wet when food drills out off cells.

BUT the brood area in the hive has been really small. And so the cluster has been too small.

WHY? It seems that the frames have had foundations but bees have enlargened cells for drones - and they are plenty!

Something wrong in hive's queen in summer?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back