Loss or Gain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It seems that everywhere we look nowadays there is an unlimited amount of publicity around the loss of the Honey Bee.
Some even suggesting that without the Bees mankinds days would be numbered.
I guess for the Bee keeper it gives an ideal opportunity to increase Honey prices (not that we would), :sifone::sifone::sifone:

However I have noticed this year, both on the Forum, and in my local community, an increase in Bee numbers.
Maybe this is unique to the south of England I dont know.

My own Hive has swarmed twice increasing my numbers threefold.
Are the Bees fighting back, increasing their numbers, or does normal for this time of year?

Either way I am very happy. This time last year I had just one Hive.
Now with my swarms plus two additional colonies of Bees I have purchased, I have 5 BeeHives.

:cheers2:

I just read in Gardening Which that the BBKA "estimated" that hive numbers have risen from 40,000 to 80,000 and bees from 23 to 48 billion. Presumably due to an increase in beeks??

Cazza

They have rather been hoisted with their own petard.

Numbers of beekeepers have been rising steadily over the last two years and I for one have gone from 3 to more like 33. Decline? I rather think not and their "poor me" stance is rather biting them in the proverbial.

Numbers rise and fall and we are going to see a fall over the next wee while I suspect as the "tap on the hive" brigade find out that keeping bees was what Mr Holmes retired to do as it wast he only thing challenging enough for his intellect. LOL

In other words it ain't that easy.

PH

They have rather been hoisted with their own petard.

Numbers of beekeepers have been rising steadily over the last two years and I for one have gone from 3 to more like 33. Decline? I rather think not and their "poor me" stance is rather biting them in the proverbial.

Numbers rise and fall and we are going to see a fall over the next wee while I suspect as the "tap on the hive" brigade find out that keeping bees was what Mr Holmes retired to do as it wast he only thing challenging enough for his intellect. LOL

In other words it ain't that easy.

PH
And don't us newbees know it???

I guess for the Bee keeper it gives an ideal opportunity to increase Honey prices (not that we would)

If bees are doing well, and honey is plentiful, that would suggest a fall in prices...

However the papers tell us that Bees are not doing well,
so honey will be in short supply....Hence higher prices.

Must be true..It was in the Daily Mirror

Latest posts

Back