Lorry crash spills 14 million bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The bees - worth an estimated £250,000 - were being moved from Bakersfield in California to North Dakota when it veered off the road."

Sounds like they were going from the Almonds to winter storage.

I've just read it.
Wow, I bet that was some swarm...what are you waiting for, all you experienced beeks?? :biggrinjester:

Where would you start in trying to clear this all up?

Steve

You pick up and shut in what you can as these hives are transported with open entrances.

The rest you spray with foam and kill off.

PH

I think the driver was on a 'B' road. (Aaarrrgggghhh)

Must of been fun for whoever did the counting, to know there were 14 million bees. Perhaps they had ear tags as well.

Just made one up not sure it's big enough though

This happens a few times per year here in the US. Migrators keep their bees on the road most of the year... they go from California almonds to North Dakota alfalfa to Florida Citrus and then to Maine Blueberries... I often think that part of the reason for CCD here in the US is that we leave our bees 2000 miles (3200 km) from their hives.

Must of been fun for whoever did the counting, to know there were 14 million bees. Perhaps they had ear tags as well.

Thank God we don't have Almond groves! I would imagine the M25 would be closed for days.:D

I'm a little confused about the need to kill any of the bees.

Looking at the pictures it doesn't seem a particularly difficult task to separate the intact from the damaged hives and, with a dozen or less suited and booted, clear the mess up in just a few hours.

400 hives sounds a lot but actually only a proportion need addressing.

Hmmm
Sam

This happens a few times per year here in the US. Migrators keep their bees on the road most of the year... they go from California almonds to North Dakota alfalfa to Florida Citrus and then to Maine Blueberries... I often think that part of the reason for CCD here in the US is that we leave our bees 2000 miles (3200 km) from their hives.

I often thought that when I watched the tv programme about it this year. That's a heck of a life beeing transported thousands of miles across USA.
Not only that but the way they are treated beforehand. (No disrespect to you)

Back