Look what I found

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Only the second inspection this year and look what I found.

They are both last years queens. Yes the markings are correct.

Just shows that queens are not completely fermions when it comes to hive occupancy.
Can you tell if one them has the opposite spin to the other? :)

Shroedinger should have had bees not cats

The one on the right in the top photo, and on the left in the bottom one, did you clip her wing or is it just like that?

Is one of your other colonies kicking up a bit of a racket this week? :)

When I went through the hive on the 25th April (first inspection) I came across an unmarked queen, I thought either its a new queen from late supersedure last year, or the markings have come off. So I marked with last years colour and clipped her wing.

Then put the frame back, not expecting or thinking there could and was another queen cruising around. When I looked again on the 19th May, there they were.

They both look well. Quadruple brood stack by middle of June? :) Keep those genes!

at least you know who is old and who is new.
might be worth getting them in 2 brood boxes and splitting with a QE - see if old HM still doing the business before making a proper split.

as per above - do all you can to keep those genes.

What makes it more pleasing she came from a batch of queens I reared last year. It does make a big difference breeding queens from your best stock!! Shame I can't sort the weather out.

Latest posts

Back