Long weekend getaway

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike a

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
Any one have an ideas for a 2-3 day get away down Devon, Cornwell sort of direction. We are looking for things to do and a little site seeing so feel free to PM me if you want to suggest some where nice but don't want to advertise directly. No fixed time scale yet when we will leave but likely it will be some time next week or the week after.

Also if there is any bee related talks or events we could attend even better otherwise we will just do the standard drive around and see what we find.

cheers
:seeya:

what sort of thing do you want to do?? if you are into walking then go for Rough tor near camelford, wonderful views, there is the Camel trail from bodmin to padstow which can be walked or cycled. Lanhydrock national trust has a large parkland and lots of wooded areas to wander (only have to pay to go into the formal garden and house not the rest of it.

are you looking for accomodation? what price range? Might be able to send some enquiries around if have a bit more detail. Lostwithiel is a nice quaint village to wander around. If you end up near bodmin moor then DEFINATE MUST is Blisland Inn if you like real ale and cider, or cheap and good food can be found at the Borough arms between bodmin and wadebridge. pm me if you want to know more!

Really recommend the lost gardens of Heligan - We try and go there 2-3 times a year. More for the productive gardens than anything else.

what sort of thing do you want to do?? if you are into walking then go for Rough tor near camelford, wonderful views, there is the Camel trail from bodmin to padstow which can be walked or cycled. Lanhydrock national trust has a large parkland and lots of wooded areas to wander (only have to pay to go into the formal garden and house not the rest of it.

are you looking for accomodation? what price range? Might be able to send some enquiries around if have a bit more detail. Lostwithiel is a nice quaint village to wander around. If you end up near bodmin moor then DEFINATE MUST is Blisland Inn if you like real ale and cider, or cheap and good food can be found at the Borough arms between bodmin and wadebridge. pm me if you want to know more!

Sounds good, although I'm not up for walking to far at the moment, as for accommodation we are happy to stay in a travel lodge or B&B so cost isn't a major factor as long as theres a cuppa tea and comfy bed I'm happy.

Really recommend the lost gardens of Heligan - We try and go there 2-3 times a year. More for the productive gardens than anything else.

We went to Heligan a couple of years ago as well as the Edan project so we will give them a miss although it dawned on me earlier we could go to Buckfast Abbey even though I hear they have scaled back on the bee keeping side of things.

Thanks for the PM's and posts and keep em coming if you have any more suggestions.. !

How about Quince Honey farm if you`re around North Devon.

http://www.quincehoney.com/index.php

I can`t recommend it personally but a few people that have stayed here have enjoyed it. I`m going to have a look around there next time i`m in South Molton dropping some wool off.

Darren.

Excellent idea, its on the to do list. Thanks :cheers2:

went to quince honey farm when i was little, loved it.

There is a travel inn in bodmin but i have a friend in area with a holiday home, could find out if she has any spaces at the moment odd days sometimes occur and what price she is looking for if she has space.

If you werent down until august 10/11 there is the national firework championships in plymouth.
Constantine beach and boobys bay are love beaches over near padstow.

Lynmouth in north devon is a wonderful place to stop, but will be busy at this time of year.

Can I suggest you avoid Eden? A few friends have been and liked it - but many, MANY felt it was boring, expensive and with a very narrow outlook.

The North Devon coast is beautiful - Lynton & the valley of the rocks.

South coast more commercial but Brixham, is quite nice (Shores on the harbour is great cheap and good food (it is upstairs) Sidmouth, old fashioned but nice with many cafes, Dartmouth nice cafe on the front - many 'little' shops but quite pricey with lots of galleries. Avoid Exeter, very chain store city.

If you come to East Devon, feel free to come visit!

We went to the Eden Project when it was only a couple of years old. Decided the best thing to do was to go back after its been open for about ten years.

We camped up the road within walking distance of the entrance, but then found it was as far again to get to the ticket office...

Latest posts

Back