Loft insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All

For those fo you that might be intrested I found HomeBase selling loft insulation much cheaper than B&Q, + this weekend they had an extra 10% off.

Space Combi-Roll Loft Insulation (T)100mm

B&Q ?13.49 (was ?30.98)

Home base ?8.99

Our loft allready had about 250mm of insulation, so by adding another 100mm gives us 350. So well above the UK recomnded 270mm

We noticed last year such an inprovment with the 250 so maybe now abit more now we have 350.

Adding lost insulation is easy, but depending on the complexty of your roof can be a bit fiddly. But remeber you are not laying Shag Pile carpet so it does not need to be that neat. WHERE a dust mask and idealy one of those paper disposable boiler suits.

You can get it installed, but even then you are looking at about ?200 for an average 3 bed house, when the materials only cost (at Homebase prices) about ?30.

Also we had cavity wall insualtion last year, that was very noticable in the house.

I changed ALL my light bulbs to energy saving ones the other month, when Tescos where selling them at 5 for 40p. I bought about 30 bulbs.

Keep warm:cheers2:

Jim

PS I am sure By Finmans standards we still live in a cold barn!!!

They are sending their cold air over here:). Still makes a change from the hot air we have been getting from that direction. Sorry finman ,I couldn't resist, please indulge an old man:cheers2:.
John

Finman was around at 7am today,I am not sending out mountain rescue just yet.

Hi ! You have not cold enough because your fingers move.

I was several days in summer cottage. Sometimes I look forum with mobile. It was -18C yeasterday. Today it was -3C.

I think that you manage with your national insulations. Half meter stone.

Finman what do you do for insulation at home?

Insulations have varied according decades, material and money.

NOW basic system is from out to in

1) Outer wall cover (wood or brick)

2) air gap for ventilation

3) wind protect board

4) Insulation mineral wool or glass wool

5) Moisture barrier / condensation barrier (blastic sheet)

6) inner wall

Windows have 3 glasses

Insulation against the ground = styrox layers

Loft = ceiling + mineral wool etc + wide ventilation space + condensation barrier + outer cove/ rain cover.

Last edited:
That is correct finman, but only in this retro fit build i.e. blowing in cavity fill insualtion after the house is built X years after.

New (good) built houses are along the lines of your construction.

tripple glazzed windows are very rare in the UK, some still only have single glazzed.

Most people are changing to the fact that a bit of money on insulation saves you much more in the long term.

But my thoughts are still out on energy saving light bulbs compared to tradtional filiment bulbs, even though I have changed over to all energy saving.

The manufacturing costs for energy saving bulbs must be higher than filiment?

+ there are many toxic components in energy saving, mercury being one.

+ there are many toxic components in energy saving, mercury being one.

In my country we have made big mistakes during last decades. The biggest are "mould houses".

One mistake has been horizontal outer roofs. Accumulation of water into loft insulation have rotten the loft.

The biggest mistakes comes when old house has been rapaired.

Yes there comes a point when you have to stop insulating, and start ventilating (like in hives)

We could all live very warm and cheap energy costs if we lived in a polystrene box with now windows.

Ventilation is important.

Latest posts

Back