Location, location, location?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1971

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, I am a completely new potential beekeeper, but am unsure about my location to keep my bee's when I get some. But I am worried about keeping them in my garden. I have a garden of about 12m x 20m bushes and trees around all sides at the bottom of my garden. I live in bulit up area, it is fairly quiet with bungalows either side of me and at the bottom of the garden which is the same distance away as mine. I have been looking on internet at swarming bee's and it doesnt look pretty for my surrounding neighbours! I have been offered a possible site for my hive at a farm which is about 12 miles away, do I risk keeping the bee's at my home or use this farm???

Once you are running full strength colonies it will become apparent why out apiaries are so much easier. If the offer is there, I'd take it. Nothing to stop you bringing on nucs at home but a hive of overly defensive bees that sting your neighbours is a situation best avoided.

This very posting copied from another thread from just two minutes ago... Note that when dealing with swarming and swarm control, use the word 'when' as opoosed to 'if'! :)

"There are many reasons not to keep bees in the garden. There are many reasons that make keeping bees in the garden worthwhile. Never say never.

I choose not to in general, but I am currently keeping my eye on a united swarm and weak colony - guess where.....

Facts must be considered, contingencies may have to be in place and decisions made on the relative merits. I would indeed caution against a novice running any risks through inexperience but a proactive beekeeper should have few problems if sufficient precautions are taken and provided that the garden is suitable. <forum member> sounds as if (s)he is already aware of the potential for defensive bees - all other factors need to be evaluated.

By the way - one hive may limit your opportunity for dealing with 'problems' therefore as you may need two, will this influence your garden siting?"

Hello Matt.

I would be great if you could keep them at home but before you know it you'll have at least two colonies, therefore twice any potential difficulties with your neighbours.

You can probably still keep them at home but you'll have to get your timing right when you do hive manipulations so that you don't upset anyone.

I'd try at home first and keep that other option open should you have to move them to an out apiary if the neighbours come at you with pitchforks and torches.

With respect to swarming, if you get on well with your neighbours, explain that if they ever see a swarm in their garden, they should let you know as you might want it yourself, other than this, a swarm will be gone some distance away in a day or two. BTW; swarms are usually quite placid, tell them that as well. Children should be so lucky to see one.

Oh, and don't forget to give the odd jar of honey away.

Have fun!

Last edited:
do I risk keeping the bee's at my home or use this farm???

Or possibly both. I miss my hive in the garden- I'm about to re-queen one hive, then if that is as gentle as I hope, they can come home from the out- apiary- safe in the knowledge that, if they do get bad-tempered or I get a complaint, they can go straight back there.

Bees in the garden with no fall-back plan is more risky, certainly for a newby.

Matt

IF you want to keep bees at home - and you have lots of neighbours- it is essential the neighbours cannot see them and are unaware of their presence..

Otherwise it will be YOUR bees who sting everyone - whether they are stung by wasps/hornets or anything else.

And you need good tempered bees.

Latest posts

Back