Local Associations not aligned with BBKA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The opening up of the Lancashire coal fields to deep mining in the 19th century ,ensured the indigenous English ( if there ever was such a thing ) is now a mixture of Welsh , Scottish, Irish plus a few Cornish .
oh! The deep shafts were sunk by German companies some of the workers marrying local , thus adding to the mix .
The same reason we ended up with Spanish miners as well as a myriad of other nationalities down our way. Broke my stepfather's heart to find out his ancestor was the son of a Royal Navy cooper from Gosport who came to Wales via the Ascension islands!

I had an oppo in the Royal Air Force . A Taff who told me his father was an Englishman !
he said he’d lived in Wales 25 years . He was a member of a local club . He was allowed a vote but could only put his hand half was up ! 😂😂😂

People don't realise the German influence on British coal mining, it was their expertise back in Elizabethan times and the 18th century that enabled us to establish the industry, they still use a lot of German terms in oal mining. People don't realise that 'firedamp' which caused so many explosions underground has nothing to do with moisture - but is actually the German name for 'Gas' 'dampf', and the carbon monoxide which killed many after the explosion was 'afterdampf'

In the Wigan dialect . The grammar is also quaint!
Hast gett’n means do you have .
1 shoe , 2 shoon ( corruption of shoen ) .

The opening up of the Lancashire coal fields to deep mining in the 19th century ,ensured the indigenous English ( if there ever was such a thing ) is now a mixture of Welsh , Scottish, Irish plus a few Cornish .
oh! The deep shafts were sunk by German companies some of the workers marrying local , thus adding to the mix .
Not to mention their forefathers: saxons,french(normans)vikings and "romans"

Not to mention their forefathers: saxons,french(normans)vikings and "romans"
You will find that Lancashire was part of the 'old Wales' for centuries after the Romas left, even the saxons had difficulty in taking it over

Latest posts

Back